“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Middletown in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

Middletown Academy

Middletown Academy Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, August 17, 2008
1. Middletown Academy Marker
Inscription. In 1824 area residents petitioned the General Assembly for a lottery to erect a building for education and public worship. Construction of the Academy began in 1826 and was completed the next year. For many years the building served as the center of community activities. Previously a private institution, it became a part of the public school system in 1876. The school was closed in 1929. The building was deeded in 1945 to the St. Georges Hundred Historical Society, an organization formed to insure its preservation. In 1960, the property was acquired by the Town of Middletown. Since then the building has been used for a variety of purposes. Continuing the traditional role as a public meeting place, the facility has been utilized by a number of municipal agencies and community organizations. The Middletown Academy was listed in the National Register of historic Places in 1972.
Erected 2005 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-144.)
Location. 39° 27.092′ N, 75° 43.033′ W. Marker is in Middletown, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is at the intersection of N. Broad Street and Crawford Street, on the right when traveling south on N. Broad Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Middletown DE 19709, United States of America.
Other nearby markers.
Middletown Academy image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, August 17, 2008
2. Middletown Academy
Building is still in public use.
At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Middletown (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Union Lodge No. 5 A.F.&A.M. (approx. half a mile away); Sgt. William Lloyd Nelson (approx. 0.6 miles away); Old St. Anne's (approx. 1.1 miles away); Three Welsh Members (approx. 1.1 miles away); This Tree Was Living When William Penn Came to Pennsylvania (approx. 1.1 miles away); Former Site of the Alston and Hunn Farms (approx. 1.4 miles away); Appoquinimink Friends Meeting House (approx. 2.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Middletown.
Categories. Churches, Etc.EducationGovernmentLandmarksNotable BuildingsNotable Places
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,380 times since then and 83 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement