Princeton Township in Mercer County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Historic Portico Preservation and Rebuilding
This portico was created in 1836 for the residence of Mathew Newkirk in Philadelphia. It was moved to Princeton about 1900 and erected as the entrance of a house called Mercer Manor because it stood on the eastern edge of the Princeton Battlefield near the spot where General Mercer was mortally wounded in the engagement.
When it was necessary to demolish Mercer Manor in 1937, its owners, the Institute for Advanced Study, presented the portico to the State of New Jersey.
Location. 40° 20.02′ N, 74° 40.629′ W. Marker is in Princeton Township, New Jersey, in Mercer County. Click for map. This marker is on a freestanding portion of the colonnade of the demolished "Mercer Manor" house at the back of a field in the Princeton Battlefield State Park. Marker is in this post office area: Princeton NJ 08540, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. This is Hallowed Ground (here, next to this marker); Burial Site of those who fell in the Battle of Princeton (within shouting distance of this marker); Colonnade and Gravesite (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Mercer Oak (about 700 feet away); Site of Moulder’s Battery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Washington’s Spring (approx. 0.3 miles away); The British Occupation of New Jersey (approx. 0.3 miles away); General Hugh Mercer (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Princeton Township.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 764 times since then and 71 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.