Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sutter Creek in Amador County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Native Sons Hall

 
 
Native Sons Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, June 28, 2008
1. Native Sons Hall Marker
Inscription. In 1851 first building to be erected on south part of site, was Hanford and Downs General Store. That stores Liberty flag pole, marked center of incorporated town, 1854. In 1865, most of building destroyed by fire. Purchased in 1875 by Giovanni B. Vicini, who completed first floor in 1878 and second story in 1885. Used as a saddle and shoe shop until the fire of 1888, which stopped here, damaging second story. Viciniís Hotel opened in 1893. Sold in 1896 to E. B. Moore, who renamed it the Sutter Creek Hotel. Amador Parlor 17, Native Sons of the Golden West organized near here June 16, 1883, purchased building in 1915 and use it to this date.
Dedicated March 8, 1980 by the
Native Sons of the Golden West
Colin B. Campbell – Grand President
In Memory of James D. Phelan, US Senator

 
Erected 1980 by Native Sons of the Golden West.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
 
Location. 38° 23.602′ N, 120° 48.18′ W. Marker is in Sutter Creek, California, in Amador County. Marker is on Main Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Located between Randolph and Eureka streets
Native Sons Hall image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, June 28, 2008
2. Native Sons Hall
on Main Street (Old Highway 49). Marker is at or near this postal address: 56 Main Street, Sutter Creek CA 95685, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Levaggi Opera House (a few steps from this marker); Brignoli Building (a few steps from this marker); Sutter Creek (a few steps from this marker); Bellotti Inn (within shouting distance of this marker); William Barker Hubbell (within shouting distance of this marker); Robert Carlton Downs (within shouting distance of this marker); Sutter Creek Sanitarium (within shouting distance of this marker); J. Monteverde General Store Museum (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line). Click for a list of all markers in Sutter Creek.
 
More about this marker. The marker is on the right side of the door frame, perpendicular to the street, making it difficult to see from some angles.
 
Also see . . .  Sutter Creek's Walking Tour Page for the Native Sons Hall. (Submitted on August 26, 2008.)
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 1,436 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement