Townville in Anderson County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
One thousand feet due north on a site now covered by Hartwell Reservoir, the Portman Shoals Power Plant, built by William C. Whitner, began the transmission of high-voltage electricity in 1897 over the longest lines then used for that purpose in the United States. The success of this plant caused Anderson to be called "The Electric City."
Erected 1960 by Anderson County Historical Association. (Marker Number 4-1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the South Carolina, Anderson County Historical Association/Society marker series.
Location. 34° 31.451′ N, 82° 49.33′ W. Marker is in Townville, South Carolina, in Anderson County. Marker is on Savannah River Scenic Byway (State Highway 24) 0.1 miles east of Keowee Club Road, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Townville SC 29689, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Saylors Bridge (approx. 0.6 miles away but has been reported missing); The Wilton E. Hall Bridge (approx. one mile away); Roberts Church (approx. 5 miles away); Townville Presbyterian Church Nazareth on the Beaverdam Presbyterian Church / Townville Presbyterian Church (approx. 6 miles away); Oliver Bolt's Cotton Gin (approx. 6.5 miles away); Anderson Regional Airport (approx. 6.6 miles away); Sandy Springs Camp Ground / Confederate Muster Ground (approx. 6.7 miles away); Anderson County Veterans Monument (approx. 7.8 miles away); Anderson County Fire Fighters Memorial (approx. 7.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Townville.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. A second marker, also entitled Portman Shoals, at the intersection of North McDuffie Street and Whitner Street in Anderson, SC.
1. The Portman Family
This land was once owned by John Portman, Langdon Cheves, and Samuel Earle. Christopher Portman, sailed from England, October 11, 1679, on the ship "Endeavor" for Carolina. He is listed among the Colonial Patriots in the year 1700. John Portman, who later owned much land on Seneca River, served
— Submitted November 16, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Events • Notable Persons • Science & Medicine • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,369 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 2. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 3. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.