“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Gainsville in Prince William County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)


Buckland Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dawn Bowen, June 5, 2007
1. Buckland Marker
Inscription. The town of Buckland, named for William Buckland, Architect, was chartered in 1798 with streets and lots on both sides of Broad Run near the mill of John Love. Tranquility, future site of Buckland Hall nearby, was John Loveís seat. This property was transferred in 1853 to Richard Bland Lee, nephew of Lighthorse Harry Lee of Leesylvania. Buckland Tavern, now restored as a dwelling, served during the early 19th century as a refreshing stop on the Alexandria-Warrenton Turnpike.
Erected 1984 by Prince William County Historical Commission. (Marker Number 66.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia, Prince William County Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 38° 46.846′ N, 77° 40.458′ W. Marker is near Gainsville, Virginia, in Prince William County. Marker is at the intersection of Lee Highway (U.S. 29) and Buckland Mill Road (County Route 684), on the right when traveling south on Lee Highway. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gainesville VA 20155, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Buckland Mills Battle (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Battle of Buckland Mills
Buckland Tavern image. Click for full size.
By Dawn Bowen, June 5, 2007
2. Buckland Tavern
(approx. half a mile away); Second Battle of Manassas (approx. 2 miles away); Campaign of Second Manassas (approx. 2 miles away); Bull Run Battlefields (approx. 2 miles away); Rock Fight (approx. 2 miles away); Second Manassas Campaign (approx. 2.5 miles away); “Greenwich” (approx. 2.6 miles away).
More about this marker. The Alexandria-Warrenton Turnpike in this area is now known as U.S. Route 29. When route numbers were assigned in the 20th century, it was numbered U.S. Route 211 and north-south U.S. Route 29 borrowed its road surface from Warrenton to Washington D.C. Now Route 211ís eastern terminus is Warrenton.
Also see . . .
1. Buckland, Va. “Visited by Washington, Jefferson, Madison and Monroe, Lafayette and Lee, the town of Buckland remains a living relic of an early Virginia mill town.” (Submitted on June 6, 2007.) 

2. Buckland Preservation Society. (Submitted on February 15, 2009.)
Categories. Roads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers
Old log cabin in Buckland image. Click for full size.
By Dawn Bowen, June 5, 2007
3. Old log cabin in Buckland
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,872 times since then and 87 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement