Dalton in Whitfield County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
During the Winter, 1863-1864, when the Confederate Army of Tennessee, under Gen. Joseph E. Johnston, occupied Dalton, Brig. Gen. J.H. Lewis of the celebrated `orphan Brigade`, of Kentucky, had h`dq`rs here -- his tent near the spring house.
The Army of Tennessee, under Gen. Bragg, withdrew from Missionary Ridge, Nov. 25, 1863, to Dalton, where Gen. Johnston succeeded to the command, Dec. 27. Outnumbered & outflanked, by Sherman`s forces, Johnston evacuated Dalton May 12-13, 1864.
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 155-17.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 46.879′ N, 84° 58.32′ W. Marker is in Dalton, Georgia, in Whitfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Chattanooga Avenue and Matilda Street, on the left when traveling north on Chattanooga Avenue. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dalton GA 30721, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. General Cleburne’s Proposal to Arm Slaves (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Huff House (approx. 0.4 miles away); George Whitefield (approx. 0.6 miles away); Tristam Dalton (approx. 0.7 miles away); Western and Atlantic Railroad Depot (approx. 0.7 miles away); Joseph E. Johnston Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away); Fort Hill (approx. 0.8 miles away); African-American Soldiers in Combat (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Dalton.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Notable Buildings • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,160 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.