Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Port Republic in Atlantic County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Meeting House

 
 
Meeting House Marker image. Click for full size.
By John Intile, February 27, 2011
1. Meeting House Marker
Inscription.
In 1800, Micajah Smith
built a Methodist Church
on this site. Smith, a
Revolutionary privateer
captain, is buried here.

 
Erected by Atlantic County, NJ.
 
Location. 39° 31.149′ N, 74° 29.725′ W. Marker is in Port Republic, New Jersey, in Atlantic County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (County Route 575) and Park Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Main Street. Click for map. Marker is located in front of Port Republic City Hall. Marker is in this post office area: Port Republic NJ 08241, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Smith's Meeting House (within shouting distance of this marker); Franklin Inn (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Clark's Mill Meeting House (approx. 0.8 miles away); Early Meeting House (approx. 0.8 miles away); Welcome to Port Republic, New Jersey (approx. 2.5 miles away); 3rd Battalion Gloucester County Militia (approx. 2.5 miles away); British Anchor (approx. 2.5 miles away); Privateers (approx. 2.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Port Republic.
 
Also see . . .  Waymarking Documentation. The contributor's
Meeting House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 28, 2008
2. Meeting House Marker
The cemetery where Capt. Smith is buried can be seen across the road from the marker.
further research into this marker can be found here. (Submitted on August 30, 2008, by Eric Milask of Cherry Hill, New Jersey.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Notable Places
 
Marker in Port Republic image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 28, 2008
3. Marker in Port Republic
Methodist Union Chapel Site image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 28, 2008
4. Methodist Union Chapel Site
This stone marks the site of the Methodist Union Chapel, built in 1838 and used until 1872. It is located in the cemetery across the street from the marker.
Cemetery Across the Street image. Click for full size.
By Eric Milask, May 24, 2008
5. Cemetery Across the Street
This is the cemetery referred to in the historical marker.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,569 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by John Intile of Toms River, New Jersey.   2. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.   3, 4. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.   5. submitted on , by Eric Milask of Cherry Hill, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement