“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Diamond Springs in El Dorado County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)

Diamond Springs

Diamond Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, July 5, 2008
1. Diamond Springs Marker
Inscription. This town, settled in 1848, derived its name from its crystal clear springs. Among the richest in this vicinity its diggings produced a 25 pound nugget, one of the largest in El Dorado County. Its most thriving period was in 1851. Later it became a contender for the county seat. Through its lumber, lime production, and agriculture, Diamond Springs retained some of its early importance.
Erected by California State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the citizens of Diamond Springs and the Mother Lode Lions Club of Diamond Springs and El Dorado. (Marker Number 487.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Pony Express National Historic Trail marker series.
Location. 38° 41.637′ N, 120° 49.038′ W. Marker is in Diamond Springs, California, in El Dorado County. Marker is on Pleasant Valley Road (State Highway 49), on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Main St. is Highway 49 within town. Marker is at or near this postal address: 501 Main Street, Diamond Springs CA 95619, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Diamond Springs I.O.O.F. No. 09 Lodge Hall (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Odd Fellows Hall
Station No. 49 image. Click for full size.
July 5, 2008
2. Station No. 49
The marker stands in front of Fire Station No. 49 (built in 1949, on Highway 49).
(about 600 feet away); Hiram No.43 Masonic Building (approx. 1.9 miles away); El Dorado (approx. 1.9 miles away); El Dorado (Mud Springs) (approx. 1.9 miles away); Cemetery of Lost Souls (approx. 2.3 miles away); El Dorado County Veterans Monument (approx. 2.4 miles away); Site of Original Raley’s Grocery Store (approx. 2.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Diamond Springs.
More about this marker. The marker is mounted on a monument directly in front of the fire station. Diamond Springs is a California Registered Historical Landmark (No. 487).
Regarding Diamond Springs. Diamond Springs was unusual in that a majority of its original settlers in 1850 came from one place - Missouri.

As with many other Gold Rush era settlements, fire destroyed most of the buildings, in this particular instance twice - in 1856 and 1859.
Also see . . .  Diamond Springs - the First Ten Years, by Anthony Belli. This is the El Dorado County's website history of
Pony Express Trail Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, July 5, 2008
3. Pony Express Trail Marker
Diamond Springs was a stop on the Pony Express Trail. In 1960, the National Pony Express Centennial Association commemorated the 100th anniversary of the Pony Express with markers such as this one. The marker is on the monument, directly below the main historical marker.
Diamond Springs. (Submitted on September 1, 2008.) 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 1,290 times since then and 80 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.   2. submitted on .   3. submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement