Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Noble Jonesí “Wormslow”

1736–1775

 
 
Noble Jones' "Wormslow" Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, August 2008
1. Noble Jones' "Wormslow" Marker
Inscription. This 1½ mile oak avenue leads to the tabby ruins of Noble Jonesí colonial fortified plantation. Jones and his family were original settlers in Georgia, arriving in Savannah with founder James E. Oglethorpe on February 1, 1733. As a middle-class carpenter from England, Jones would perform a variety of roles in the new colony of Georgia including: constable, physician, surveyor, Indian agent, soldier, member of the royal council, treasurer, and senior justice of the province. In 1736, Jones leased 500 acres form the Trustees of Georgia and in 1745, finished construction of the fortified home he named “Wormslow.” From this outpost, Jones commanded a company of marines charged with patrolling the inland water route and alerting Savannah of any Spanish attack. Wormslow was also well known for its horticultural efforts. Indigo, rice and silk were all cultivated here by Jones, his indentured servants, and later slaves. Following generations of the Jones family lived at Wormsloe for over two centuries, building on their ancestor`s prominent role in Georgia history. The tabby ruins of the original “Wormslow” home survive as the last architectural remnant of Savannah from the Oglethorpe era (1733–1743).
 
Erected 1992 by Georgia Historic Marker. (Marker Number 025-100.)
Noble Jones' "Wormslow" Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2008
2. Noble Jones' "Wormslow" Marker

 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 31° 58.035′ N, 81° 4.191′ W. Marker is in Savannah, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker is on Wormslow Platation Drive. Click for map. Located off Skidaway Road. Right at At Wormsloe museum Marker at end at parking lot. Marker is in this post office area: Savannah GA 31406, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Isle of Hope (approx. one mile away); Isle of Hope Methodist Church (approx. 1.2 miles away); Bethesda (approx. 1.5 miles away); Sandfly (approx. 1.6 miles away); Brick Pillar (approx. 1.6 miles away); a different marker also named Isle of Hope (approx. 2 miles away); Pin Point Community (approx. 2.1 miles away); Mercer Auto Camp (approx. 2.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Savannah.
 
Categories. Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers
 
Noble Jonesí “Wormslow” Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 1, 2012
3. Noble Jonesí “Wormslow” Marker
The visitors' center is in the background.
1733 Wormsloe 1913 image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, August 30, 2008
4. 1733 Wormsloe 1913
Avenue lined with 400 Live Oak Trees
Noble Jonesí “Wormslow” image. Click for full size.
By Frances Benjamin Johnston, circa 1944
5. Noble Jonesí “Wormslow”
Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division; LC-J7-GA- 1353
"Wormslow" , todays remaining family burial plot image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2008
6. "Wormslow" , todays remaining family burial plot
"Wormslow" more tabby ruins image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2008
7. "Wormslow" more tabby ruins
"Wormslow" tabby ruins image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2008
8. "Wormslow" tabby ruins
Family Grave Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2008
9. Family Grave Marker
Noble Jones' grave in Savannah at Bonaventure Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, August 31, 2008
10. Noble Jones' grave in Savannah at Bonaventure Cemetery
Noble Jones' "Wormslow" Plantation, A Conjectural reconstruction of Wormsloe, ca. 1750 image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2008
11. Noble Jones' "Wormslow" Plantation, A Conjectural reconstruction of Wormsloe, ca. 1750
"( Noble Jones) has erected what very justly ( when finished ) may be called a good house with convenient Out houses for Servents, Cattle, and ca.(?) he has also fenced and brought into tillage about 14 acres of Land" William Stephens, 1740
The tabby ruins mark the location of Noble Jones fortified house, begun c.1739. located inside the walls, the house was 32'x24' or double the size required of the earliest houses in Savannah. Jones built the house in the newer and roomier Georgian style common to the houses of contemporary Frederica. It was at least 1½ stories high. The tabby portion of the structure was 8' high ( the same as the fort wall), while the remaining height probably consisted of frame construction. The tabby walls were smoothed with plaster and whitewash.
Captain Jones' Wormslow, William M. Kelso University of Georgia Press 1979
Noble Jonesí “Wormslow" image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 1, 2012
12. Noble Jonesí “Wormslow"
The oak-lined drive from the gate to the private residence on the site, the visitors' center, marker, and site of the old fort.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,705 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   3. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   4. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   5. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   12. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement