Greenville in Greenville County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Rev. James R. Rosemond
[West side of marker]:
This monument is
erected to the glory
of God in memory of
James R. Rosemond,
founder and organizer,
who gave his life
advancing the cause of
the Piedmont area.
Churches built under the
Pastorate of Father Rosemond
From 1866 to 1869
From 1869 to 1900
[East side of marker]:
Feb. 1, 1819
Aug. 5, 1902
[North side of marker]:
Parker School House
Union Grove (N.C.)
A Church at Pendleton
[South side of marker]:
The Church at Belton
Old Pickens Chapel
A Church at Seneca
St. Stephens Bethlehem
A Church at Walhalla
Location. 34° 54.637′ N, 82° 20.308′ W. Marker is in Greenville, South Carolina, in Greenville County. Marker is on Old Rutherford Road south of Tanner Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2507 Rutherford Road, Greenville SC 29609, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Camp Sevier (approx. ¾ mile away); a different marker also named Camp Sevier (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Dam for Reservoir 2 (approx. 2 miles away); What's So Special About this Bridge? (approx. 2 miles away); Welcome to Paris Mountain State Park (approx. 2.1 miles away); New Life for Old Bathhouse (approx. Come On In, the Water's Fine! (approx. 2.1 miles away); "Mom, Can I Have a Nickle?" (approx. 2.1 miles away); Open to the Sky (approx. 2.2 miles away); Woodlawn Memorial Park Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Greenville.
Regarding Rev. James R. Rosemond. Under the direction and Pastorate of Rev. Rosemond, more than two dozen churches in at least six counties in the upstate of South Carolina were constructed.
1. Formation of Black Churches
Much more lasting than political power in the hands of the freedmen was the formation of black churches. The leading spirit in establishing black Methodism in Greenville was the Reverend James R. Rosemond. Known only as Jim when he was born on February 1, 1820, he was the son of Abraham and Peggy, who were slaves of Waddy Thompson, Jr. When Jim was six, his parents were sent to Alabama with one of Thompson's sons. Jim remained in Greenville and went to live with a family of Methodists under whose influence he was baptized in 1844. The
After the Civil War Jim took the name James R. Rosemond, and he soon gathered a group of black Methodists in Greenville to establish a church-Frank Williamson, Wilson Cooke, Alexander Maxwell, and Wiley Pool. According to one account, the group first met at Cooke's house and agreed to pay the trustees of the Greenville Methodist Church one hundred dollars a year to meet there weekly. When Charles Hopkins arrived and opened the Freedmen's Bureau School, the black
In January 1867 Rosemond entered the Baker Theological Institute in Charleston, a forerunner of Claflin College, and after one term he was ordained a deacon under the missionary rule. Rosemond returned to Greenville and began to establish churches-first St. Matthew near Chicle Springs, and then St. Mark near Travelers Rest, where a camp meeting was held every year. Later he organized Wesley Chapel and Golden Grove and began to travel more widely into neighboring counties where he established more churches. In 1868 he was ordained an elder, and before his death in 1902 he established fifty churches from York to Oconee.
Prior to the Civil War Rosemond
The ambiguous status of the black membership in the Greenville Baptist Church after the Civil War was indicated in November 25,1867, when the congregation voted "to have the slaves (Negroes) put up in the body of the Church." Five months later, on April 21, 1868, Dr. James P. Boyce reported that sixty-five black members requested dismissal from the church to establish a separate congregation. Among those listed in the minutes, with family names for the first time, was Gabriel Poole. Perhaps the wealthiest member of the group was Dudley Talley, a drayman, whose wealth was listed in the 1870 census as $1,050. A month later sixteen other members joined the group.
For five years the new congregation met in the basement of the Greenville Baptist Church and held services on Friday evenings and Sunday afternoons. In May 1867 Gabriel Poole was ordained "a regular Minister by
Black churches of other denominations were formed in Greenville in succeeding years. The Enterprise reported on June 15, 1870, that a black woman preacher from Virginia had delivered a sermon in the courthouse, "endeavoring to raise funds in the interest of the African Methodist Episcopal Church." Her efforts were not immediately successful, and in 1879 Allen Temple AME Church was organized by R. W. Sinclair. In January 1881 the congregation purchased the former Gaillard School in West Greenville for two thousand dollars. James T. Baker was pastor, and the trustees were J.M. Chiles, Joseph Plumer, E.G. Griffin, Sr., C. Ward, and Dercy Watt. The stewards were William Brown, June Hanes, Henry Down, and James H. Chiles. S. Mattoon organized the Mattoon Presbyterian Church with seven members in 1878, and the Israel Metropolitan Colored (now Christian) Methodist Episcopal Church was founded in 1891 by A.J. Stinson.
— Submitted November 5, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • African Americans • Churches, Etc. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by M. L. 'Mitch' Gambrell of Taylors, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,698 times since then and 155 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by M. L. 'Mitch' Gambrell of Taylors, South Carolina. 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.