Sullivan in Moultrie County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Moultrie County Courthouses
The second Courthouse was completed in 1866 by S. W. Conn, Shelbyville, IL for $21,000. It was brick, 50 feet square and 68 feet to the top of the cupola. It was paid for by the sale of the county "swamp Land", now some of the most productive farmland in Illinois.
The first Courthouse was completed in 1848 for $2,800. It was brick and 38 feet square. It burned on November 25, 1864 destroying most of the county records. Abraham Lincoln practiced law in this Courthouse.
Pictures of the first and second Moultrie County Courthouses are below the marker.
Erected 2006 by Moultrie County Board.
Location. 39° 35.955′ N, 88° 36.405′ W. Marker is in Sullivan, Illinois, in Moultrie County. Marker is on East Harrison Street west of South Washington Street, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sullivan IL 61951, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Abraham Lincoln - Eighth Judicial District (a few steps from this marker); Cole Edward Spencer (approx. 11.4 miles away); Gene Goodwin Park (approx. 11.4 miles away); a different marker also named Abraham Lincoln - Eighth Judicial District (approx. 13.4 miles away); a different marker also named Abraham Lincoln - Eighth Judicial District (approx. 13.7 miles away); Site of The Village of Richmond (approx. 15 miles away); Traveling the Circuit (approx. 16.5 miles away); Anthony Thornton (approx. 16.5 miles away).
Categories. • Government • Landmarks • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,005 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.