“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
De Pere in Brown County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)

Rapides des Peres

Voyageur Park

Rapides des Peres Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, August 15, 2008
1. Rapides des Peres Marker
Inscription. The rapids at De Pere were well known to all early travelers along the Fox and Wisconsin rivers, which provided the best access to the Mississippi. Despite Indian domination, the waterway served explorers, fur traders and voyageurs, missionaries, and soldiers -- principally from France and from Canada (New France).

Beginning in the late 1600s, the French sent various emissaries to maintain good relations with the Indians and to Christianize them; to seek a water route to the Pacific; and to barter with the Indians for furs. In 1668 Nicolas Perrot and Toussaint Baudry came here to establish fur trading; in 1671 Father Claude Allouez built the St. Francis Xavier Mission (hence the name Rapides des Peres); and in 1673 Marquette and Jolliet left from here to search for the Mississippi. Trouble with the Indians along the Fox River resulted in military expeditions in 1716 and in 1728.

Until the completion in 1837 of the military road connecting forts Howard, Winnebago, and Crawford, the waterway was the only channel of communication linking Green Bay with other developing areas in Wisconsin.
Erected 1981 by De Pere Historical Society Members Ted and Jo Lenfestey. (Marker Number 266.)
Marker series. This marker is included
Rapides des Peres Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, August 15, 2008
2. Rapides des Peres Marker
in the Wisconsin Historical Society marker series.
Location. 44° 27.09′ N, 88° 3.888′ W. Marker is in De Pere, Wisconsin, in Brown County. Marker can be reached from William Street west of North Front Street. Click for map. Marker is in Voyageur Park, by the Fox River, north of the Claude Allouez Bridge (State Highway 32). Marker is in this post office area: De Pere WI 54115, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. White Pillars (approx. 0.2 miles away); Marquette–Jolliet (approx. 0.3 miles away but has been reported missing); Brown County Court House 1838 to 1854 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Address by President Lincoln (approx. 0.6 miles away); St. Norbert College & The Packers (approx. 0.6 miles away); Bernard Henry Pennings (approx. one mile away); The Catholic Bark Chapel (approx. 2.1 miles away); Menomineeville, Seat of Justice (approx. 2.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in De Pere.
Categories. Churches, Etc.ExplorationNative AmericansSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels
The lock at the rapids image. Click for full size.
By Robert L Weber, June 13, 2011
3. The lock at the rapids
Polo-Resto Service Station image. Click for full size.
By Melinda Roberts, July 8, 2012
4. Polo-Resto Service Station
Built in fall 1925 by Charles Hall (1876-1962) Moved to current location in August 2004 Entrance to Voyager Park, De Pere, Wisconsin
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,620 times since then and 87 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.   3. submitted on , by Bob (peach) Weber of Prescott Valley, Arizona.   4. submitted on , by Melinda Roberts of De Pere, United States. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement