Adairsville in Gordon County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Site of the Robert C. Saxon House
May 17, 1864, a rear guard action between Cheatham’s Div., Hardee’s A. C. and Newton’s 2d Div., 4th A. C. was fought along this road. Eight Tenn. Regts. of Wright’s, Maney’s and Vaughan’s brigades posted here, defended it during several hours of musketry and artillery fire, withdrawing at midnight. Burned by 73d Illinois Regt. next day.
Erected 1998 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 064-2.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 24.082′ N, 84° 56.102′ W. Marker is in Adairsville, Georgia, in Gordon County. Marker is at the intersection of Joe Frank Harris Parkway (U.S. 41) and Miller Ferry Road, on the right when traveling south on Joe Frank Harris Parkway. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Adairsville GA 30103, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Original Site Adairsville — 1830’s (approx. ¼ mile away); Oothcaloga Valley (approx. 1.1 miles away); Cherokee Nation Major John Lewis (approx. 1.2 miles away); Historic Trimble House (approx. 2 miles away); Adairsville, Georgia (approx. 2.3 miles away); The Great Locomotive Chase (approx. 2.4 miles away); Mosteller's Mills (approx. 2.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Adairsville.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,422 times since then and 133 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2. submitted on , by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia. 3. submitted on , by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.