South Newport in McIntosh County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 095-29.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 31° 38.034′ N, 81° 23.802′ W. Marker is in South Newport, Georgia, in McIntosh County. Marker is at the intersection of Ocean Highway (U.S. 17) and Jones Road (State Highway 131), on the right when traveling south on Ocean Highway. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Townsend GA 31331, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. South Newport Baptist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Confederate Post in 1864 William Bartram Trail (approx. 1.1 miles away); The McIntosh Family Of McIntosh County (approx. 1.1 miles away); Skirmish in Bulltown Swamp (approx. 1.7 miles away); LeConte Botanical Gardens (approx. 4.9 miles away); Rice Hope (approx. 5.8 miles away); John Houstoun McIntosh (approx. 5.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in South Newport.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • War, US Civil • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 997 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.