Near Landrum in Spartanburg County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Wolfe Creek Baptist Church
This is the original site of The Wolfe Creek Baptist Church organized in 1803 now the First Baptist Church of Landrum, South Carolina
Marker erected June 21, 1953
when Interstate 26 was constructed this marker was moved here one mile southeast of the original site October 1967.
Location. 35° 11.061′ N, 82° 9.293′ W. Marker is near Landrum, South Carolina, in Spartanburg County. Marker is at the intersection of Landrum Road (South Carolina Route 14) and Earles Fort Road on Landrum Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Landrum SC 29356, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Earle's Ford and Fort (approx. 0.2 miles away); B. Frank Carruth (approx. 2.1 miles away); The Block House (approx. 4.3 miles away in North Carolina); The Tryon Horse (approx. 5 miles away in North Carolina); The Brave Devoted Patriots (approx. 5.1 miles away in North Carolina); Tryon Toy House (approx. 5.2 miles away in North Carolina); Polk County Bicentennial Memorial Polk County Courthouse (approx. 5.3 miles away in North Carolina); Preserve our Freedom (approx. 5.3 miles away in North Carolina); Polk County World War Memorial (approx. 5.3 miles away in North Carolina). Click for a list of all markers in Landrum.
Also see . . . First Baptist Church of Landrum, SC. A Southern Baptist Church seeking to create an environment for God to change lives today, tomorrow, and forever. (Submitted on March 1, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. About William Hannon
William Hannon...a man of fair circumstances, of intelligence and influence, ans a minister of the Gospel. He was the first (and for a long number of years) pastor of Wolf Creek Baptist Church, near Landrum, S.C., organized in 1803.
A strange and merciful Providence seems to have spared him to do a good work in the Master's cause. His memory still lives in the affections of the older citizens of the community in which he lived. (Source: Colonial and Revolutionary History of Upper South Carolina by John Belton O'Neall Landrum
— Submitted March 1, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Landmarks •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,076 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.