Farmington in Fayette County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Great Meadows Campaign
The Great Meadows Campaign marked the first active united action on the part of the colonies. Here soldiers from Virginia and South Carolina fought together against a common foe. Troops from New York and North Carolina were marching to reinforce them. Pennsylvania voted 10,000 pounds and Maryland voted 5,000 pounds to aid the expedition, while Massachusetts sent troops north to harass the French. Thus more than half the colonies engaged in this campaign.
This tablet dedicated July 3rd, 1932, the Bicentennial Year of the birth of George Washington, by the Pennsylvania Society Sons of the American Revolution.
Erected 1932 by the Pennsylvania Society, Sons of the American Revolution.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Sons of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 39° 48.867′ N, 79° 35.183′ W. Marker is in Farmington, Pennsylvania, in Fayette County. Marker can be reached from the National Pike (U.S. 40), on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in the Fort Necessity Visitors Center. Marker is in this post office area: Farmington PA 15437, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Great Meadows (approx. 0.2 miles away); The National Road (approx. ¼ mile away); Mount Washington Tavern (approx. ¼ mile away); Fort Necessity (approx. ¼ mile away); Mt. Washington Presbyterian Church (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named National Road (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Old Braddock Road (approx. 1.4 miles away); First Roads to the West (approx. 1.4 miles away); Braddock Park (approx. 1.4 miles away); Road to Disaster (approx. 1.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Farmington.
More about this marker. This was one of the bronze tablets originally posted outdoors in the replica of Fort Necessity constructed in 1932. The replica, now called the Square Fort, was found to be historically inaccurate and replaced by the much smaller round stockade fort now on the site. The tablet is now itself a piece of history, mounted in an exhibit in the Fort Necessity/National Road Interpretive and Education Center (the Visitor’s Center).
Also see . . . Background of the Conflict.
Categories. • War, French and Indian •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,376 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.