Near Waco in Haralson County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Inscription. In 1888, three wine-making communities were founded here on some 2000 acres. A local land developer, Ralph L. Spencer, invited some 200 Hungarian wine-making families to settle this region. They named their largest community BUDAPEST, in honor of the capital of Hungary. The village of TOKAJ recalled the famous wine-making region of Hungary, and NYITRA was named after an ancient fort in the northern region of their homeland. Homes, streets, shops, a school, a Catholic church, a cemetery and other municipal facilities were built. The wine industry flourished in this climate. In 1908 the passage of the Prohibition Act in Georgia spelled their doom. The residents were forced back to the Pennsylvania mines. The rectory still stands on a hill, a fine tribute to the master masons who erected it. The pioneer Hungarians who became a part of the Georgia soil lie in the little fenced cemetery over the hill, many of the graves still marked with names which sound foreign to these parts. By ancient tradition the inhabitants lie with their heads toward the East and their beloved homeland.
By David Seibert, circa May 1991
1. Hungarian Colony Marker
Erected 1988 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 071-2.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Marker has been confirmed missing. It was likely located near 33° 42.902′ N, 85° 13.099′ W. Marker was near Waco, Georgia, in Haralson County. Marker was at the intersection of U.S. 78 and Budapest Road, on the left when traveling west on U.S. 78. Click for map. Marker was in this post office area: Waco GA 30182, United States of America.
January 30, 2008
2. Budapest Cemetery
Budapest Cemetery is located east of Tallapoosa, GA on Landfill Rd about one mile from this marker. The cemetery contains about 20 graves, and it appears that no burials have taken place here since 1956.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Historic Tallapoosa (approx. 4.4 miles away); Sacred Harp Singing (approx. 4.5 miles away); Seven Chestnuts (approx. 4.9 miles away); Sandtown Trail (approx. 5.1 miles away); Haralson County (approx. 6.2 miles away); First "REA" Substation in Carroll County (approx. 12.2 miles away); Last Land in Georgia Ceded by the Creeks (approx. 12.4 miles away); Site of Bowdon College (approx. 12.5 miles away).
Categories. • Horticulture & Forestry • Settlements & Settlers •
By David Seibert, September 6, 2008
3. Post from the missing Hungarian Colony Marker
A local resident reports that a car driven by some young boys backed into the marker, breaking it as can be seen in the photo. This is what remains today (September 2008).
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,676 times since then and 74 times this year. Last updated on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2. submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 3. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.