Sutter Creek in Amador County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
1854 ∑ Amador County ∑ 1954
Act of Legislature, May 11, 1854, set June 17, 1854, as election date for people to vote on such a division, and appointed five organization commissioners: W.L. McKimm, Chairman; E.W. Gemmill; A.J. Sneath; A.Boileau; and A. Platt, Secretary.
They transacted business at Tuckerís Ranch as follows:
1. Established election precincts;
2. Set July 17, 1854, as election day for county officers and selection of a County Seat;
3. Set July 22, 1854, to canvass votes and proceed to final discharge of their duties.
Erected 1954 by the Native Sons of the Golden West. Rededicated 1979 by the Amador County Board of Supervisors.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
Location. 38° 22.897′ N, 120° 47.991′ W. Marker is in Sutter Creek, California, in Amador County. Marker is at the intersection of Sutter Hill Road and Eureka Road, on the right when traveling west on Sutter Hill Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sutter Creek CA 95685, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are Botto Saloon (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Central Eureka Mine (about 400 feet away); In Memory of the Heros of Amador County (approx. half a mile away); Old Eureka Mine (approx. half a mile away); To Remember the Men of Amador County Who Died in The World War (approx. 0.7 miles away); Sutter Creek United Methodist Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); In Memory of General John A. Sutter (approx. ĺ mile away); Knight Foundry (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Sutter Creek.
Regarding 1854 ∑ Amador County ∑ 1954. In the 1850's, just after gold was discovered at Coloma in nearby El Dorado County, Andrew Kennedy discovered the claim that was to become world famous as the Kennedy Mine in the area that is now the city of Jackson. It would turn out to be one of the richest in the Mother Lode. With its extremely deep mine shafts (the deepest plunged down 5,912 feet), it was to be productive for 50 years.
Amador County was established in 1854. Almost incorporated into neighboring Calaveras County, the new county narrowly missed being named "Washington" by the state legislature, but the name "Amador" was substituted in the State Assembly. The name paid homage to ranchero Jose Maria Amador, after whom Amador City is named, and as a translation from Spanish
As the county developed, towns rose up around early mining settlements and homes and buildings reflecting the architectural styles popular in that time were built. Many still stand. Mining continued until 1942, when Presidential edict closed mines on behalf of the war effort. However, in recent years, shaft mining activity has been resumed between the towns of Amador City and Sutter Creek, and gold panning continues to thrill hobbyists and professional gold miners, alike.
Source: Amador County - History
Categories. • Government • Notable Events • Notable Places • Political Subdivisions • Politics • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 2,377 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.