Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Richmond Hill in Bryan County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Hardwicke

 
 
Hardwicke Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 14, 2002
1. Hardwicke Marker
Inscription. This site on the Great Ogeechee, 14 miles from the Atlantic, was selected in 1755 by Governor John Reynolds for the capital of Georgia. He named it for his kinsman, Lord High Chancellor of England, Phillip Yorke Hardwicke. Reynolds said: "Hardwicke has a charming situation, the winding of the river making it a peninsula and it is the only fit place for the capital." In 1761, Sir James Wright, the Province Governor, determined against the removal of the capital from Savannah. Hardwicke then became little more than a trading village and it is now listed among "the dead towns of Georgia."
 
Erected 1968 by Georgia Society, Daughters of the Amercan Colonists.
 
Location. 31° 52.981′ N, 81° 13.807′ W. Marker is near Richmond Hill, Georgia, in Bryan County. Marker is on Fort McAllister Road (State Highway 144 Spur) 2.1 miles east of Bryan Neck Road (State Route 144), on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Richmond Hill GA 31324, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Richard J. Arnold (approx. 1.3 miles away); Guale Village at Seven-Mile Bend (approx. 1.8 miles away); Machinery From The C.S.S. Nashville
Hardwicke Marker looking east along Fort McAllister Road (Spur State Highway 144) image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud
2. Hardwicke Marker looking east along Fort McAllister Road (Spur State Highway 144)
(approx. 1.8 miles away); Burnt Church Cemetery (approx. 1.9 miles away); Destruction of the C.S.S. Nashville (approx. 1.9 miles away); C.S.S. Nashville (approx. 1.9 miles away); Sinking of the CSS ''Nashville (Rattlesnake)" (approx. 1.9 miles away); George W. McAllister (approx. 1.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Richmond Hill.
 
Categories. Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers
 
Hardwicke Marker looking west along Fort McAllister Road (Spur State Highway 144) image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud
3. Hardwicke Marker looking west along Fort McAllister Road (Spur State Highway 144)
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,314 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2, 3. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement