Anderson in Anderson County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The First Baptist Church Bell
Originally mounted in the church tower during the alterations to the building in the year 1892, and removed in 1976 when the old tower was razed.
The bell is mounted here as a symbol of the influence on the community of this church for the last one hundred and fifty-five years, and as a challenge for those who follow to work diligently for the advancement of the kingdom of God throughout the world.
May it still be used to mark significant events so that all who hear the clear tones ring out will be reminded anew of their divine mandate to witness at home and abroad.
Erected 1976 by First Baptist Church of Anderson.
Location. 34° 30.164′ N, 82° 38.818′ W. Marker is in Anderson, South Carolina, in Anderson County. Marker is at the intersection of Manning Street and East Church Street, on the left when traveling south on Manning Street. Click for map. Marker is located near the First Baptist Church Cemetery. Marker is at or near this postal address: 307 South Manning Street, Anderson SC 29621, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within William Bullein Johnson (within shouting distance of this marker); A Living Tribute (within shouting distance of this marker); G. Ross Anderson Jr. Federal Building and United States Courthouse (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Masonic Temple -- 1889 (about 600 feet away); G.F. Tolly Building -- c. 1910 (about 600 feet away); Portman Shoals (about 600 feet away); Portman Dam and Power Plant (about 600 feet away); William Law Watkins (about 700 feet away); In Commemoration of Black Pioneers (about 700 feet away); Bank of Anderson Building - ca. 1891 (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Anderson.
Also see . . .
1. First Baptist Church, Anderson, SC. Official website of the First Baptist Church of Anderson, SC. (Submitted on August 25, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Anderson Historic District. Anderson came into being in 1826 with the formation of Anderson County, and as a courthouse seat, the community was quick to develop. St. John's Church is part of the district. (Submitted on September 24, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. First Baptist Church
At the northern end of the [Anderson Historic] district
— Submitted September 24, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
2. History of First Baptist Church of Anderson by Dr. James T. Thomason
Churches come into existence when there is a need. Such was the case of Anderson First Baptist Church. Originally called Mount Tabor, it was located one and a half miles south of Anderson where the Saluda Baptist Association Office now stands on South Murray Avenue. A number of people of the Baptist faith lived in this area, and in 1817, Rev. James Burriss began his ministry here. His congregation gathered under a brush arbor. A log house of worship replaced the arbor in 1819, and the church became a mission of the Shockley Ferry Baptist Church. In July 1821, Mount Tabor was constituted as an independent church with 56 members. Sanford Vandiver was the first pastor, a position he filled until 1842 (21 years). In 1822, the church was admitted to the Saluda Baptist Association.
The church called its first full time pastor, the Rev. J. Scott Murray, in the Fall of 1851. The Sunday School was established in the early 1860's. The woman's Missionary Union was organized on April 20, 1875. Discipleship Training, as it is now called, was organized in 1900 as the Baptist Young People's Union.
In the fall of 1892, the name of the church was changed to the First Baptist Church, and it was incorporated by the State of South Carolina on February 2, 1903. The first Vacation Bible School was held in the summer of 1920.
On the grounds of the present church office building, formerly the church parsonage, stood Johnson Female Seminary. It was organized in 1848, and named for Dr. William B. Johnson, the first president of the Southern Baptist Convention. He came to Anderson in 1853 as the Chancellor of this institution, the forerunner of Anderson College. At his death, Dr. Johnson was buried in the church cemetery where a handsome marker was erected by the South Carolina Baptist Convention.
The Janie Chapman Offering for State Missions was named for Mrs. J.D. Chapman, the first state Women's Missionary Union President. Mrs. Chapman's husband was pastor of the church from 1900 to 1907. Both of them were active in leading the youth of the church in Christian service. One of the young men involved in their organizations was W. Marshall Craig. Dr. Craig became recognized throughout the Southern Baptist Convention as an outstanding minister and evangelist. He is one of many of First Baptist's sons and daughters that have entered Christian vocations, serving at home and abroad.
First Baptist Church has a noble heritage which serves to challenge today's members to work diligently for the advancement of the Kingdom of God throughout the world.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,207 times since then and 9 times this year. Last updated on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 3. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 10. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 11, 12. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.