Greer in Greenville County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Indian Boundary Line
This marks the eastern boundary (the present Greenville-Spartanburg county line) between the Cherokee Nation and the province of South Carolina from the end of the Cherokee War (1759-61) until 1777. In that year, the Treaty of DeWitt's Corner extended the western boundary of South Carolina to the Savannah River.
Erected 1952 by Joyce Scott Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution. (Marker Number 23-4.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 34° 56.882′ N, 82° 13.294′ W. Marker is in Greer, South Carolina, in Greenville County. Marker is on Wade Hampton Blvd. (U.S. 29) near Baileyview Street, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is located on the Greenville/Spartanburg County line. Marker is in this post office area: Taylors SC 29687, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Indian Boundary Line (approx. 0.6 miles away); 101 Trade Street (approx. 0.7 miles away); Tribute to Greer Firefighters (approx. ¾ mile away); Spring-Wood Park (approx. 0.8 miles away); Stone Mortar (approx. 0.8 miles away); AH-1 Cobra Helicopter (approx. 1.1 miles away); Worth Barnett Overpass (approx. 1.1 miles away); All Wars Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles away); Ronnie Eugene Norris Remembrance Fountain (approx. 1.1 miles away); Greer Area Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Greer.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Markes dedicated to the DeWitt Treaty and other Cherokee boundary lines.
Also see . . .
1. South Carolina Backcountry Election Districts of 1778 Map. During the Revolutionary War, in 1778, the new Whig Government of South Carolina passed legislation to establish new election districts. (Submitted on February 10, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. DeWitt's Corner. Treaty, 20 May 1777, Treaty ceding all land in SC except small strip in n.w. modern Oconee County. (Submitted on September 13, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. Treaty of Dewitt's Corner between the Cherokee Nation and South Carolina, 1777. The Treaty of Dewitt’s Corner ended the Cherokee War of 1776-1777, which took place at the beginning of the American Revolution. (Submitted on September 13, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
4. Anglo-Cherokee War. The Anglo-Cherokee War (1758–1761) (Cherokee:"war with those in the red coats" or "war with the english"), also known (from the Anglo-European perspective) as the Cherokee War, the Cherokee Uprising, the Cherokee Rebellion, was a conflict between British forces in North America and Cherokee Indians during the French and Indian War. (Submitted on September 13, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. The Treaty of DeWitt's Corner
Hostilities between the Cherokee Nation and the English settlers were ended with the signing of two treaties. The first, signed on May 20, 1777, was the treaty of DeWitt's Corner. Representatives from Georgia, South Carolina, and the Lower Cherokee met at DeWitt's Corner and signed a treaty that the territory now known as Anderson, Greenville, Oconee, and Pickens to South Carolina. The treaty forced the Cherokee to admit that South Carolina troops "did effect and maintain the conquest of all the Cherokee lands, eastward of Unacay Mountain." The treaty opened the region to an influx of Scotch-Irish Presbyterians and French Huguenot. The DeWitt Treaty was the first treaty between two American states (Georgia and South Carolina) and the Cherokee nation.
The second treaty was signed on July 20, 1777 at Long Island on the Holston River by headmen of Virginia, North Carolina, and the Upper Cherokee. Under the terms of this treaty, the Cherokee ceded all land east of the Blue Ridge to the settlers. With the signing of the second treaty, South Carolina took on its familiar triangle shape that is known today.
DeWitt's Corner was located on Corner Creek, at the present-day Abbeville/Anderson County line. To reach the creek, travel north on Highway 20 from Due West. The bridge crossing the creek is located about 1/5 of a mile from the county line.
— Submitted September 13, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Native Americans • Notable Events • Notable Persons • Settlements & Settlers • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,988 times since then and 9 times this year. Last updated on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. Photo 1. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.