York in York County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Through this intersection originally called Fergus Crossroads have passed
General Daniel Morgan - Hero of Cowpens
Lord Cornwallis - British Comdr at Yorktown
Col. Banastre Tarleton - British Comdr at Cowpens
William Gilmore Simms - S.C. Author & Historian
General Micah Jenkins- C.S.A.
President Jefferson Davis and
the Confederate Cabinet in 1865
General & Governor Wade Hampton
This corner has probably witnesed the passing of more historic men than any spot in the up country of South Carolina.
Erected 1960 by York County Historical Commission.
Location. 34° 59.646′ N, 81° 14.525′ W. Marker is in York, South Carolina, in York County. Marker is at the intersection of W. Liberty Street (State Highway 5) and S. Congress Street (U.S. 321), on the left when traveling west on W. Liberty Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: York SC 29745, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. York County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); First Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Bratton House Site / Jefferson Davis's Flight Trinity M. E. Church, South (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Town of Yorkville / Town of York (about 600 feet away); Barnett Brothers Circus, 1929 ~ 1945 / Bennett Brothers Circus, 1929 ~ 1938 (approx. 0.2 miles away); York County Confederate Monument (approx. 0.4 miles away); David E. Finley Birthplace (approx. 0.4 miles away); King's Mountain Military Academy Site / Micah Jenkins (approx. 0.7 miles away); King's Mountain Battleground (approx. 3.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in York.
Regarding Historic York. The town of York was originally known as Fergus’s Crossroads for a tavern, owned by two brothers, William and John Fergus, that was located at the intersection of the road from Rutherfordton to Camden and the road from Charlottesburg (Charlotte) to Augusta. When the county of York was established in 1785, the state statute required each county to erect a courthouse and public buildings in the most convenient part of the county, with a tax levied to
Also see . . .
1. Area Information of Western York County. (Submitted on September 9, 2008, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina.)
2. York County Courthouse. The York County Courthouse, built in 1914, is an historic courthouse located at West Liberty and South Congress streets in the city of York in York County, South Carolina. (Submitted on September 16, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. York County Courthouse. York County Courthouse is significant as a courthouse design of prominent architect William Augustus Edwards. (Submitted on September 16, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
4. York Historic District. The York Historic District consists of approximately 180 contributing properties located in the significant downtown commercial and residential areas of the town of York. (Submitted on February 2, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 883 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.