Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sacramento in Sacramento County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

B.F. Hastings Bank Building

Western Terminus of the Pony Express

 
 
B.F. Hastings Bank Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, September 10, 2008
1. B.F. Hastings Bank Building Marker
Inscription. This structure, erected in 1852-53, was occupied during the 1850ís by the B.F. Hastings Bank, Wells Fargo and Co., Various state officials, Sacramento Valley Railroad, and the Alta Telegraph Co. during April 1860-May 1861. The Alta Telegraph Co. and its successor, The California State Telegraph Co. were the agents here for the Central Overland Pony Express, owned and operated by the firm of Russell, Majors and Waddell. From this historic site the first Overland journey eastward of the Pony Express was begun on April 4, 1860.
 
Erected 1960 by California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Sacramento Historic Landmarks Commission, The Sacramento County Historical Society, The California Historical Society and the Grand Parlors, Native Sons and Native Daughters of the Golden West, Centennial Year 1960. (Marker Number 606.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks, the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West, and the Pony Express National Historic Trail marker series.
 
Location. 38° 34.986′ N, 121° 30.251′ W. Marker is in Sacramento, California, in Sacramento County. Marker is on 2nd Street, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is within the Old Sacramento State Historic Park. Marker is in this post office area: Sacramento CA 95814, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
B.F. Hastings Bank Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, September 10, 2008
2. B.F. Hastings Bank Building Marker
Pony Express donor plaque and Pony Express plaque are to the left - Registered National Historic Landmark plaque is to the right.
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Sacramento (here, next to this marker); The Pony Express (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named The Pony Express (a few steps from this marker); New England Seed Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Booth Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lady Adams Building (about 400 feet away); Sacramento Engine Company No. 3 (about 600 feet away); Freight on the Move (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Sacramento.
 
More about this marker. This site is a California Registered Historical Landmark (No. 606).
 
Regarding B.F. Hastings Bank Building. For more markers about the Pony Express, please see the Pony Express National Historic Trail link in the Marker Series section above.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Follow the first Eastbound journey of the Pony Express through California to Genoa, Nevada...To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
 
Also see . . .
1. California State Railroad Museum B.F. Hastings Building. (Submitted on September 10, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
2. Pony Express Home Station B. F. Hastings Building
B.F. Hastings Bank Building National Historic Landmark Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, September 10, 2008
3. B.F. Hastings Bank Building National Historic Landmark Plaque
. (Submitted on September 10, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
 
Additional comments.
1. More information on the Hastings Building....
The corner lot on which the Hastings building stands was originally occupied by a store built by William Merrit in 1851. That building, however, burned down in the great fire of November 1852, which consumed much of Sacramento. Merrit started to rebuild, but was unable to complete the structure due to financial difficulties. Benjamin Hastings purchased the building and lot at an auction in March 1853 for $1,500. Wells, Fargo, & Company provided banking services from the site from 1854-1857.

In addition to providing, as noted above, offices for the western terminus of the Pony Express and the Alta Telegraph, the building had two other historically noteworthy tenants: Theodore D. Judah, and the California Supreme Court.

Theodore Judah was the driving force and designer behind the Sacramento Valley Railroad, had his office in the Hastings Building through 1855. The railroad was the first in the US west of Rockies, and later became a key part of the first transcontinental railroad.

From 1855-1857, and again from 1859-1869, the state's Supreme Court was headquartered in the
Pony Express Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, September 10, 2008
4. Pony Express Plaque
1860-1861 ** 1960-1961
These plaques placed at the Western Terminus of the Pony Express, April 4, 1963 by the Sacramento Historical Landmarks Commission and the Sacramento County Historical Society; National Pony Express Centennial Association - Dwight D. Eisenhower, Chairman - Waddell F. Smith, President
Hastings building.

After Hastings sold the building in 1870, the building's history was more prosaic, serving in various incarnations as a hotel, a fruit market, a saloon, a barber shop, a cigar shop, and a rooming house. The state purchased the building in 1967 and currently leases the building to Wells Fargo, which operates a mini-museum and hospitality center from the site. The building was freshly painted in May-June 2008.
    — Submitted September 12, 2008.

 
Categories. GovernmentIndustry & CommerceLandmarksNotable BuildingsNotable EventsNotable PersonsNotable PlacesSettlements & Settlers
 
B.F. Hastings Bank Building image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, November 14, 2005
5. B.F. Hastings Bank Building
B.F. Hastings Bank Building Looking Southwest image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, September 10, 2008
6. B.F. Hastings Bank Building Looking Southwest
Note the fresh coat of paint as compared to the previous photograph.
The California State Supreme Courtroom - Old Sacramento image. Click for full size.
Wolfgang Kuhz, Published by Tahoe Foto
7. The California State Supreme Courtroom - Old Sacramento
Description on postcard:
The California State Supreme Courtroom
B.F. Hastings Building
Southwest Corner Second and J
The first permanent home of the Supreme Court in 1855 was the Hastings Building. Sessions were held there until 1869, with the exception of 1858, when the court moved to the Jansen Building on 4th and J.
B.F. Hastings Bank Building image. Click for full size.
Unknown, Courtesy of the Sacramento City Room, Sacramento City Library, 1960
8. B.F. Hastings Bank Building
Formerly housing the Supreme Court of California, by 1960 the Hastings Building had been reduced to the "Lucky Bottle Shop". The astute observer will note, however, that at this point in time the building was thrice-plaqued - once with what is almost certainly some version of the current CSHL marker (between the first and second windows on the left, but now located across the street on a retaining wall), and then two other markers between the 4th and 5th window from the left (the round one of which is almost certainly a Pony Express marker, the other unknown).
B.F. Hastings Bank Building image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, September 10, 2008
9. B.F. Hastings Bank Building
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 2,302 times since then and 14 times this year. Last updated on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   7. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   8. submitted on .   9. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement