Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fredericksburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Fredericksburg Baptist Church

 
 
Fredericksburg Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dawn Bowen, June 4, 2007
1. Fredericksburg Baptist Church Marker
Inscription. The prominent sanctuary to your right is the Fredericksburg Baptist Church, constructed in 1854-55. When it was built, Princess Anne Street was already developing as the town’s religious and government center. Other churches included St. George’s Episcopal Church (1849) and the Presbyterian Church (1833). Nearby government buildings included the Town Hall (1814) and the Court House (1852). During the December 1862 Battle of Fredericksburg, Union troops cleared the church for use as a hospital. The chapel and the sanctuary became densely packed with wounded men and surgeons did their best to attend to them while shells occasionally whistled overhead. The despoiled sanctuary rendered the church unusable until after the war, but the Baptist congregation recovered. Today, Fredericksburg’s historic churches continues to thrive.
 
Erected by City of Fredericksburg.
 
Location. 38° 18.247′ N, 77° 27.682′ W. Marker is in Fredericksburg, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of Princess Anne Street and Amelia Street, on the right when traveling south on Princess Anne Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1019 Princess Anne St, Fredericksburg VA 22401, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within
Federal troops entering town in 1862 image. Click for full size.
By Dawn Bowen, June 4, 2007
2. Federal troops entering town in 1862
“Whether in photographs or sketches, the Fredericksburg skyline is defined by the church steeples along Princess Anne Street as well as the Court House cupola. This image depicts the Federal Troops entering town in the summer of 1862.”
walking distance of this marker. Hostages (here, next to this marker); Prisoners of Christ (within shouting distance of this marker); The Booth House (within shouting distance of this marker); Bridgewater Mills (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gun from the CSS Virginia (about 400 feet away but has been reported missing); Lewis Randolph Ball (about 400 feet away); Auction Block (about 500 feet away); Second Town Hall / Market House (about 500 feet away); Weedon’s Tavern (about 500 feet away); Stating Inalienable Rights (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Fredericksburg.
 
Also see . . .  Fredericksburg Baptist Church. A history of the church from their web site. (Submitted on December 14, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.War, US Civil
 
Fredericksburg Baptist Church image. Click for full size.
By Dawn Bowen, June 4, 2007
3. Fredericksburg Baptist Church
St. George's Episcopal Church image. Click for full size.
By Dawn Bowen, June 5, 2007
4. St. George's Episcopal Church
The Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
By Dawn Bowen, June 5, 2007
5. The Presbyterian Church
Court House image. Click for full size.
By Dawn Bowen, June 5, 2007
6. Court House
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,559 times since then. Last updated on , by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement