Fredericksburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Lewis Store
Councilor John Lewis (1694-1754) of Warner Hall in Gloucester County purchased 406 ac. at Fredericksburg’s northern edge in 1742 and soon began a mercantile operation in wooden buildings just across Caroline Street.
In 1749 he built this brick store, distinguished by its stone quoins. His son Fielding Lewis (1725-1781), who married George Washington’s sister Betty, ran this mercantile arm of the family’s extensive shipping operations.
William S. Stone, William Taylor, and Robert Mackay, among others, were later merchants in this store. When the Fredericksburg Fire of 1807 damaged the original story and a half structure, it was repaired and a second floor was added.
The building changed from commercial to residential use in 1823. It remained a private residence until it was given to the Historic Fredericksburg Foundation in 1996.
Erected by Historic Fredericksburg Foundation, Inc.
Location. 38° 18.35′ N, 77° 27.656′ W. Marker is in Fredericksburg, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of Caroline Street and Lewis Street, on the left when traveling north on Caroline Street. Click for map
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Kenmore (here, next to this marker); Fredericksburg Campaign, December 1862 (within shouting distance of this marker); Rising Sun Tavern (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Prisoners of Christ (about 600 feet away); Fredericksburg Baptist Church (about 600 feet away); Hostages (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Fredericksburg Campaign (about 700 feet away); Pontoon Bridge Site (about 700 feet away); 7th Michigan Volunteer Infantry (about 700 feet away); The Booth House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Fredericksburg.
Also see . . . Hisoric Fredericksburg Foundation. (Submitted on June 12, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,465 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. 3. submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.