“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fredericksburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)


Kenmore Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dawn Bowen, June 12, 2007
1. Kenmore Marker
Inscription. Four blocks west stands Kenmore, built in 1775 by Col. Fielding Lewis for his wife, Betty, sister of George Washington. Near here, between Kenmore and the Rappahannock River, stood Lewis’s warehouses and docks. Kenmore’s intricate plasterwork is the finest in the country. Among 19th-century owners and occupants were Samuel Gordon, who named it Kenmore, and William Key Howard, Jr., who restored and embellished the mansion’s plasterwork. Washington and other Revolutionary leaders often visited, and during the Civil War, Union troops used it as a hospital. The Garden Club of Virginia, starting in 1929, rehabilitated Kenmore’s gardens as its first restoration project.
Erected 1992 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number N 31.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the George Washington Slept Here marker series.
Location. 38° 18.351′ N, 77° 27.656′ W. Marker is in Fredericksburg, Virginia. Marker is on Caroline Street 0.1 miles north of Lewis Street, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fredericksburg VA 22401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Lewis Store (here, next to this marker); Fredericksburg Campaign, December 1862
Kenmore image. Click for full size.
By Dawn Bowen, June 12, 2007
2. Kenmore
(within shouting distance of this marker); Rising Sun Tavern (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Prisoners of Christ (about 600 feet away); Fredericksburg Baptist Church (about 600 feet away); Hostages (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Fredericksburg Campaign (about 700 feet away); Pontoon Bridge Site (about 700 feet away); 7th Michigan Volunteer Infantry (about 700 feet away); The Booth House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Fredericksburg.
Regarding Kenmore. Kenmore is at 1201 Washington Ave.
Also see . . .  Kenmore and Ferry Farm. (Submitted on June 12, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia.)
Categories. Colonial EraNotable Buildings
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,611 times since then and 73 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement