Darien in McIntosh County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
St. Andrew's Cemetery
In 1867, Charles Spalding, son of Thomas Spalding, gave to Saint Andrew`s Episcopal Church in Darien the land surrounding the family plot, to be used perpetually as a cemetery. On February 20, 1876, the right Reverend Dr. Beckwith, Bishop of Georgia, consecrated the ground now known as St. Andrew`s Cemetery.
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 095-15.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 31° 22.76′ N, 81° 25.033′ W. Marker is in Darien, Georgia, in McIntosh County. Marker is on State Highway 99 near St. Andrew's Cemetery Road, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Darien GA 31305, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ashantilly (approx. 0.2 miles away); Birthplace of John McIntosh Kell (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Savannah Lumber Company 200 Years of Sawmilling (approx. one mile away); How Steam Engines Worked (approx. one mile away); Lower Bluff Sawmill (approx. one mile away); Guale Indian Village (approx. one mile away); Site of Early Spanish Mission (approx. one mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Darien.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches, Etc. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,228 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.