Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Palmyra in Fluvanna County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Fluvanna County Courthouse

 
 
Fluvanna County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Roger Dean Meyer, August 29, 2008
1. Fluvanna County Courthouse Marker
Inscription. The Fluvanna County Courthouse is one of the few in the state to retain its original configuration. Fluvanna County was formed from part of Albemarle County in 1777 with the county seat located on the southeast side of the Rivanna River. In 1828 Palmyra was selected as the new county seat, and the present courthouse was erected in 1830 by the Reverend Walker Timberlake and John Hartwell Cocke of nearby Bremo. Cocke also prepared the plans for the stone jail, built in 1828, which now houses the Fluvanna County Historical Society’s museum.
 
Erected 1986 by Department of Conservation and Historic Resources. (Marker Number F-49.)
 
Location. 37° 51.657′ N, 78° 15.817′ W. Marker is in Palmyra, Virginia, in Fluvanna County. Marker is at the intersection of James Madison Highway (U.S. 15) and Courthouse Road (Virginia Route 601), on the right when traveling north on James Madison Highway. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Palmyra VA 22963, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fluvanna County Confederate Memorial (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); “Texas Jack” Omohundro Birthplace (approx.
Fluvanna County Courthouse Marker--wider view image. Click for full size.
By Roger Dean Meyer, August 29, 2008
2. Fluvanna County Courthouse Marker--wider view
0.7 miles away); The “Regular” Methodist Conference (approx. 2.1 miles away); S. C. Abrams High School (approx. 2.3 miles away); John Jasper (approx. 3.6 miles away); Point of Fork (approx. 5.7 miles away); Fluvanna County World War Memorial (approx. 5.7 miles away); Fork Union Academy (approx. 6.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Palmyra.
 
Also see . . .
1. Fluvanna County Historical Society. (Submitted on September 19, 2008, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota.)
2. Fluvanna County Courthouse Historic District. (Submitted on September 19, 2008, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota.)
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsPolitical Subdivisions
 
Historic Fluvanna County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Roger Dean Meyer, August 29, 2008
3. Historic Fluvanna County Courthouse
The Bench in the Historic Fluvanna County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Roger Dean Meyer, August 29, 2008
4. The Bench in the Historic Fluvanna County Courthouse
Balcony and rear of Historic Fluvanna County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Roger Dean Meyer, August 29, 2008
5. Balcony and rear of Historic Fluvanna County Courthouse
The Old Stone Jail image. Click for full size.
By Roger Dean Meyer, August 29, 2008
6. The Old Stone Jail
The new Fluvanna County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Roger Dean Meyer, August 29, 2008
7. The new Fluvanna County Courthouse
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 1,157 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement