Cohoes in Albany County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Sightseeing / Cataract House, Cohoes Falls, N.Y.
Dutch visitors left the first written accounts of the Great Falls of the Mohawk River at Cohoes during the 1640s. Generations of sightseers, poets, and artists followed to look at the falls, hear their roar, and feel the spray.
The Cataract House opened above Cohoes Falls in 1860. Rebuilt and enlarged after a fire, it was operated by William Gwynn from 1867 until 1912. It burned to the ground soon after that.
Cataract House, Cohoes Falls. N. Y.
Parties visiting this section of the Country should make it a special object to visit these "FALLS," it being one of the grandest sights for miles around. The Cataract House is beautifully situated upon a bluff overlooking the Falls, and from its Observatory the Country can be seen for miles around. It is one of the most delightful places we know of, the cool breeze from the Falls always mitigating the intensity of the heat.
The Falls are three miles from Troy, eight from Albany, and but a short distance from Shaker Village.
No expense has been spared to make the Cataract "Excelsior," in addition to the beautiful scenery surrounding the same. The artificial Fall 123 feet, the Falls of the "Mighty Mohawk" 86 feet. The Walk in the Dell, on the bed of the river,
Pleasure Gondolas are on the Pond near the Cataract House; the Scenery from the many windows in the large Billiard room is surprisingly beautiful, and a spacious Ball Room for the accommodation of Sleighing Parties is attached to the House.
Dinners and Suppers served in the most recherché style, and the Stabling Department is complete.
A ride or walk through the Town of Cohoes, famous by its unexcelled water power and princely factories, business streets and churches, thronged, with well-to-do people, cannot fail to favorably impress a stranger - adding City charms to the Cataract House, situated on the summit of Mohawk Street - a secluded spot in Nature's Garden
WM. H. Gwynn, Proprietor.
Erected 2008 by US Department of the Interior.
Location. 42° 47.151′ N, 73° 42.58′ W. Marker is in Cohoes, New York, in Albany County. Marker can be reached from North Mohawk Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. The Cataract House Cohoes Falls, N. Y. marker is at the over look of the newly created Falls Overlook Park. Marker is in this post office area: Cohoes NY 12047, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Park Named Craner * Cohoes Recalls a Hero Misty 17 (about 800 feet away); Cohoes Mastodon (approx. ¼ mile away); The Cohoes Mastodont (approx. half a mile away); The Erie Canal (approx. half a mile away); Cohoes - Waterford Bridge (approx. 0.8 miles away); White Homestead (approx. 0.8 miles away); First Power Mill for the Manufacture of Knit Fabrics (approx. 0.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Cohoes.
More about this marker. The marker is posted in the recently created four-acre Falls View Park which is adjacent to the Brookfield Renewable Power’s 38-megawatt School Street hydroelectric generating facility. The park, which was first unveiled on August 21, 2008, offers a view of the scenic Cohoes Falls never before open to the public. Cohoes Falls is the the second largest falls in New York State after Niagara Falls. The interpretive panels found in Falls View Park’s canal-side plaza were created by the National Park Service. Falls View Park was developed as part of Brookfield Renewable Power’s 40-year operating
Regarding Sightseeing / Cataract House, Cohoes Falls, N.Y.. The first Cataract House was built in 1860. It was partly destroyed by a fire in 1867 and was rebuilt later that year. Col William H. Gwynn was hired as manager. The house had a central fireplace large enough to roast a whole ox. Breakfast consisted of steak, fish, eggs, cakes, coffee, and tea. The evening meal was a variation on breakfast, plus cold meat. Certain alcoholic beverages were free; other cost extra. The rates were only $2.00 per day.
Also see . . . Falls View Park Ribbon Cutting Ceremony. (Submitted on September 21, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
1. Cataract House Cohoes Falls
I am interested in the history of the Cataract house as an ancester of mine , Col. William Henry Gwynn or with an 'e' at the end as it was spelled both ways. was the proprieter from 1879 through 1912.
William Henry Gwynn was born in Wocester England in 1849 so would be 17 when acquiring such a job. This in itself is not odd considdering the era but where and how could he have acquired the title Col. from.
William Henry Gwynn was mentioned
Is there any further history on this man that I can have. Was he married. To whom?
When did he die.
Anything would suffice.
Thanks in advance,
Editor's Note: Please see our Forum, Reply No. 233 posted Saturday, October 3, 2009, at 2:38 AM ET by Correspondent Carol of Burlington
— Submitted September 24, 2009, by Roy Gwynn of Sarnia, Ontario.
Additional keywords. Spindle City Waterfall
Categories. • Natural Resources • Notable Places •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 3,362 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.