Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cartersville in Bartow County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Friendship Monument

 
 
Friendship Monument Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 30, 2008
1. Friendship Monument Marker
Inscription. The nearby marble shaft has the unique distinction of having been erected by a debtor in honor of his creditors. Losses during the panic of 1857 forced Mark A. Cooper, proprietor of the Etowah Iron Works, to offer this property for sale to satisfy a $100,000 debt.
Thirty-eight friends signed notes totaling that amount to save the enterprise. When the debt was repaid in 1860, Cooper erected this monument on which the names of his benefactors are inscribed.
 
Erected 1963 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 008-51.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 34° 9.92′ N, 84° 47.743′ W. Marker is in Cartersville, Georgia, in Bartow County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street (Georgia Route 113) and Friendship Plaza, on the right when traveling west on West Main Street. Click for map. The marker is in Friendship Plaza in downtown Cartersville, created to display the monument. Marker is in this post office area: Cartersville GA 30120, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tribute on Monument / 38 Names on Monument (here, next to this marker); Private First Class Jerry Wayne Gentry
Friendship Monument Marker, the Monument, and the Tribute on Monument Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 30, 2008
2. Friendship Monument Marker, the Monument, and the Tribute on Monument Marker
(a few steps from this marker); God Bless America (within shouting distance of this marker); Bartow County (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Bartow County Courthouse (about 600 feet away); Home of Sam P Jones (approx. 0.4 miles away); Amos T. Akerman (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of Sam Jones' Tabernacle (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Cartersville.
 
More about this marker. The monument was originally located in the town of Etowah, which was destroyed by Federal troops in the Civil War. The site of the town was flooded when Lake Allatoona was created, and the monument was moved to Cartersville in 1927. In the 1960s the monument was moved to an overlook near the Allatoona Dam on Corps
of Engineers property, and this marker was erected. Then in 1999 the town of Cartersville wanted the marker back, and the monument and marker were moved to Friendship Plaza.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. More on Mark A. Cooper and Etowah Iron Works
 
Also see . . .
Map of Bartow County in Friendship Plaza image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 30, 2008
3. Map of Bartow County in Friendship Plaza
 Friendship Plaza. (Submitted on September 21, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USIndustry & CommerceNotable Persons
 
Friendship Plaza image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 30, 2008
4. Friendship Plaza
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,449 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement