Jackson in Amador County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Site of Pioneer Jewish Synagogue
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 865
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Commission for the Preservation of Pioneer Jewish Cemeteries and Landmarks of the Judah L. Magnes Museum, June 27, 1976.
Erected 1976 by California State Department of Parks and Recreation. (Marker Number 865.)
Location. 38° 21.064′ N, 120° 46.399′ W. Marker is in Jackson, California, in Amador County. Marker is on Church Street 0 miles north of North Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. The marker is located on the rear part of the grounds of the Jackson Elementary School. Marker is at or near this postal address: 220 Church Street, Jackson CA 95642, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Brown Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Krabbenhoft Building Law Office (about 500 feet away); Miners' Graves (about 600 feet away); Leam's Saloon (about 600 feet away); Sesquicentennial Court House Site (about 600 feet away); In Memoriam: The '49ers (about 600 feet away); The Court House Well (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Jackson.
Regarding Site of Pioneer Jewish Synagogue. In Jewish Voices of the California Gold Rush: a Documentary History, 1849-1880 (2001), Ava Fran Kahn notes that the B地ai Israel congregation itself was established prior to the synagogue, having taken out an ad in the Volcano Weekly Ledger in the fall of 1856 announcing (Jewish) New Year services. By 1860, there were an estimated 35 Jews in the Jackson area. They had neither Scroll nor Torah, and had to borrow such from the San Francisco congregation for the high holidays, and the synagogue was closed the rest of the year.
Also see . . . Web site for the Judah L. Magnes Museum. Founded in 1863, the Commission for the Preservation of Pioneer Jewish Cemeteries and Landmarks of the Judah L. Magnes Museum has title to the six gold-rush era Jewish cemeteries, and strives to protect and preserve the Jewish landmarks in California's Mother Lode. (Submitted on September 21, 2008.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 1,643 times since then and 70 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.