Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Alvaton in Meriwether County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Carmel Historic District

 
 
Carmel Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, February 19, 2005
1. Carmel Historic District Marker
Inscription. Settlement of Carmel community began with the creation of Meriwether County in 1827. Early families-- Caldwell, Burton, Campson, Gray, Reynolds, Williams, Pope, and Glass--came from Edgefield District, South Carolina. They established Carmel Academy, churches, a cotton gin, blacksmith shop, general merchandise and farm supply store, millinery, lace business, post office, cane syrup mill, and a pottery. Carmel native, Harmon White Caldwell (1899-1977), became Dean of Lumpkin Law School, President of the University of Georgia, and Chancellor of the University System of Georgia.
 
Erected 1999 by The Georgia Historical Society, Meriwether Historical Society, and Carmel Methodist Church. (Marker Number 99-1.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 33° 10.29′ N, 84° 32.249′ W. Marker is near Alvaton, Georgia, in Meriwether County. Marker is on Mt Carmel Road 0 miles south of Griffin Highway (Georgia Route 362), on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gay GA 30218, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Noted Indian Trail
Carmel Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dianne Wood, April 7, 2010
2. Carmel Historic District Marker
(approx. 7.4 miles away); James B. "Jimmy" Hutchinson, Jr. (approx. 9 miles away); Red Oak Creek Covered Bridge (approx. 9.2 miles away); Starr's Mill (approx. 11 miles away); Pike County (approx. 12.3 miles away); Holly Grove African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 12.8 miles away); Old Newnan (approx. 14 miles away); Meriwether County (approx. 14.2 miles away).
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USSettlements & Settlers
 
Carmel Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 30, 2012
3. Carmel Historic District Marker
Looking north; Mount Carmel Road is on the right, and Georgia Highway 362 in the distance.
Carmel Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 30, 2012
4. Carmel Historic District Marker
The Carmel Methodist Church is in the background.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 987 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2. submitted on , by Dianne Wood of Newnan, Georgia.   3, 4. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement