Staunton, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Dr. Alexander Humphreys
Born in County Armagh, Ireland, educated in medicine in Ireland, settled in Augusta County, practiced in Staunton from 1788, conducted a Medical School here, and was the teacher of the pioneer abdominal surgeon, Ephraim McDowell.
Physician • Teacher • Civic Leader
Erected 1951 by Augusta County Medical Association.
Location. 38° 8.94′ N, 79° 4.5′ W. Marker is in Staunton, Virginia. Marker can be reached from West Beverly Street (Virginia Route 254) east of Church Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Staunton VA 24401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Trinity Church (within shouting distance of this marker); The Wesleyan Female Institute (within shouting distance of this marker); The Hon. Archibald Stuart (within shouting distance of this marker); Ast Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Augusta National Bank Building (about 700 feet away); T. J. Collins & Son (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Dr. Alexander Humphreys (about 700 feet away); Stuart Hall (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Staunton.
Also see . . . A Brief Biography of Alexander Humphreys, M. D. This page contains the text of Dr. Richard P. Bell’s speech on the occasion of the dedication of this bronze tablet, April 15, 1951. It recounts the life of Dr. Humphreys. The text is unformatted. You'll find it in the second paragraph of this page. (Submitted on September 25, 2008.)
Categories. • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 757 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.