North Blenheim in Schoharie County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Built by John Lansing
about 1800. Justice of
N.Y. Supreme Court, 1790-1801;
Chancellor 1801-14. Owner
part of Blenheim Patent.
Erected 1936 by New York State Education Department.
Location. 42° 26.925′ N, 74° 28.079′ W. Marker is in North Blenheim, New York, in Schoharie County. Marker is on New York State Route 30, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: North Blenheim NY 12131, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Blenheim Bridge (approx. 2.2 miles away); Blenheim Bridge (approx. 2.2 miles away); Captain Jacob Hager (approx. 3.6 miles away); Gilboa Settlement (approx. 4 miles away); Indian Trail (approx. 6 miles away); Site of Battle (approx. 6.4 miles away); Parker 13-Sided Barn (approx. 7.3 miles away); Mount Utsayantha (approx. 7.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in North Blenheim.
Regarding Manor House. Lansing Manor was built in 1819 by John Lansing, who was quite wealthy. He owned a large estate at Lansingburg and had a lucrative law practice. He was a major
Lansing never lived in the manor. He built it for his daughter, Frances, and her husband, the Honorable Jacob Sutherland. The manor reflects the well to do lifestyle of Anglo-Dutch landowners. The Sutherlands owned the manor estate until 1836. Essentially, only four families occupied the Lansing Manor in its one hundred fifty-three years as a private residence. Dr. David Rosseter and his wife, Sarah, enjoyed the estate from 1849 through 1861 when they sold it to E.Y. Spring. Beech Wood Farm, as it was named by the spring family, became a successful farm and dairy operation. In 1911, they sold the estate to Luther Mattice. Sixty-one years later, in 1972 the Mattice heirs sold the farm to the New York Power Authority.
An interesting story, handed down by the Spring family, is a tale of their Newfoundland dog. A large sized breed, the canine was harnessed to a butter churn and by circling around the barrel to turn the inner paddles would make the family's butter. However, the dog was clever enough to sense when the regular day for the chore approached and would promptly disappear the night before. Since the dog was expected to "pull his weight" on the farm, he was confined the night before to ensure his appearance in the morning.
Beside the house and barns there are a number of other outbuildings clustered around which were important for taking care of the business of farming, including a servant's
Also see . . .
1. Blenheim-Gilboa Visitors Center, Lansing Manor, Mine Kill State Park. (Submitted on September 28, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
2. Biography of John Lansing, Jr.; New York Delegate to Constitutional Convention (Did not sign). (Submitted on September 28, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
1. John Lansing Jr. Cenotaph
Mr. Lansing (mysteriously disappeared on 12 Dec 1829) is reported to be memorialized with a cenotaph in Albany Rural Cemetery in Menands, NY. Despite numerous web attributions to the cenotaph, it could not be located on our last visit—even with the assistance of very helpful cemetery office personnel. Anyone with a photograph of the memorial is encouraged to add it to this page.
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 2,167 times since then and 159 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.