Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Auburn in Placer County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Historical Auburn Fire House

 
 
Historical Auburn Fire House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, March 1, 2006
1. Historical Auburn Fire House Marker
Inscription. Erected in 1891 by the volunteer firemen of Auburn Hook and Ladder Company No.2 with funds raised by public subscription. Dedicated May 21, 1892. In continuous use until 1954
 
Erected 1959 by Emigrant Trail Chapter, N.S.D.A.R (Daughters of the American Revolution).
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
 
Location. 38° 53.767′ N, 121° 4.722′ W. Marker is in Auburn, California, in Placer County. Marker is at the intersection of Lincoln Way and Commercial Street, on the right when traveling east on Lincoln Way. Click for map. Marker is mounted on the front of the Old Firehouse. Marker is in this post office area: Auburn CA 95603, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Placer County Bank (a few steps from this marker); City of Auburn (within shouting distance of this marker); Wells Fargo Express Office – 1852 (within shouting distance of this marker); Jacob Feldberg – L. Newman, Clothing (within shouting distance of this marker); Placer Press (within shouting
Historical Auburn Fire House image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, March 1, 2006
2. Historical Auburn Fire House
distance of this marker); Claude Chana (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Masonic Hall Erected 1860 (within shouting distance of this marker); G. Willment General Store (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Auburn.
 
Also see . . .
1. Visiting Auburn: Old Town Firehouse. (Submitted on September 29, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
2. Auburn Journal: Old Town Treasure. (Submitted on September 29, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
 
Additional comments.
1. From the Historic Old Town Auburn Walking Tour Brochure:
This Old Town Firehouse once stood where the freeway runs now. It was built in 1891, and the Queen Anne style influence can be seen in the use of patterned shingles of varied styles and colors. This firehouse was home for the Auburn Hook and Ladder Co., organized in 1852. In the tower is the original bell used to sound the alarm and bring volunteers from nearby mines and fields.
    — Submitted October 11, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.

 
Categories. Notable BuildingsNotable PlacesSettlements & Settlers
 
Vintage Postcard - Old Firehouse image. Click for full size.
By Fritz Vibe Postcard Service, Sacramento, Ca. Dexter Press, Inc.
3. Vintage Postcard - Old Firehouse
Built in 1891, dedicated in 1892. Manned by volunteer fire crew.

Note: California Registered Historical Landmark plaques for City of Auburn are in foreground.
Vintage Postcard - Old Auburn image. Click for full size.
By Fritz Vibe Postcard Service, Sacramento, Ca. Dexter Press, Inc.
4. Vintage Postcard - Old Auburn
This is the remains of Old Auburn, where gold was discovered in Auburn Ravine during the Gold Rush days.

Note: Firehouse is right-center and Placer County Court House is up on the hill.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,900 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement