Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Nekoosa in Wood County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Wakely’s Tavern

Pointe Basse

 
 
Wakely's Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, June 17, 2007
1. Wakely's Tavern Marker
Inscription.
  Built in 1831, Wakely’s Tavern and Trading Post was the first white settler’s house in present Wood County. River piers, shingle mill, warehouse, and gunpowder pit contributed to making this site a rendezvous for Indians, voyageurs, lumbermen and raftsmen, as well as a social center for area pioneers.

  In 1844 the steamboats “Maid of Iowa” and “Enterprise” operated on the river carrying passengers and cargo between Prairie du Chien and Pointe Basse, the site of Wakely’s Tavern.

  Until 1916, a cable ferry operated from this point to the west bank of the river. In 1963, the remaining wing of the tavern was restored and is now known as “Old Ferry Farm.”
 
Erected 1971 by the South Wood County Historical Corporation. (Marker Number 28.)
 
Location. Marker has been confirmed missing. It was likely located near 44° 17.997′ N, 89° 53.424′ W. Marker was near Nekoosa, Wisconsin, in Wood County. Marker was on Wakely Road 0.3 miles west of County Highway Z, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker was in this post office area: Nekoosa WI 54457, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 2 miles of this location
Wakely's Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, June 17, 2007
2. Wakely's Tavern Marker
, measured as the crow flies. Point Basse (a few steps from this marker); Point Bas (approx. 0.2 miles away); Nekoosa War Memorial (approx. 1.2 miles away); a different marker also named Point Basse (approx. 1.6 miles away); Ed “Strangler” Lewis (approx. 1.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Nekoosa.
 
More about this marker. This is a Wisconsin Registered Landmark – Number 28. This was the 9th marker erected by the South Wood County Historical Corporation.
 
Regarding Wakely’s Tavern. From the Town of Saratoga Wisconsin website: “Robert Wakely was the first white settler in the town, arriving in 1837. By 1846, Wakely already had at least a dozen buildings at his settlement. By 1852, Wakely was operating the ferry across the Wisconsin River from his tavern. All this was even before the township was created in 1857.”
 
Additional keywords. Robert Wakely · Wisconsin Heritage Site #209
 
Categories. Settlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels
 
Wakely's Tavern image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, June 19, 2007
3. Wakely's Tavern
A store & hotel for travelers.
National Register of Historic Places #74000146
Listed December 27, 1974
Wisconsin River image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, June 19, 2007
4. Wisconsin River
Looking toward the west bank.
Wakely's Tavern is behind the photographer.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,327 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.   3, 4. submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement