Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Petersburg in Dinwiddie County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Banks House

Pamplin Historical Park

 
 
The Banks House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 23, 2008
1. The Banks House Marker
Inscription. Welcome to the Banks House. This 18th-century home was typical of other upper-middle class farms in Dinwiddie County, except for 24 hours on April 2-3, 1865 when it became military headquarters for Lieutenant General Ulysses S. Grant. From here, General Grant presided over the climax of the Petersburg Campaign and rode into Petersburg to meet with President Lincoln for the final time.

Portions of the Banks House and its kitchen quarter are open to the public during scheduled guided tours. At other times, you may walk along the pathways and read exhibits about this restored home.

The Banks House serves as a residence for Park employees. Please respect the occupantsí privacy and remain on the established trails. Begin your tour by following the gravel path to the front of the house.

Pamplin Historical Park is grateful for the support of the Roslyn Farms Corporation and Chaparral Virginia Steel Recycling for their assistance in preserving the Banks House.
 
Erected by Pamplin Historical Park.
 
Location. 37° 11.527′ N, 77° 27.988′ W. Marker is near Petersburg, Virginia, in Dinwiddie County. Marker is on Hofheimer Way, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Petersburg VA 23803, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Banks House image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 23, 2008
2. Banks House
The Banks House served as Lt. Gen. Ulysses S. Grantís headquarters following the Battle of the Breakthrough on April 2, 1865.
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. History of the Banks House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Civil War Years (within shouting distance of this marker); The Kitchen Quarter (within shouting distance of this marker); After the Breakthrough: April 2, 1865 (within shouting distance of this marker); A.P. Hill Memorial (approx. half a mile away); The Confederate Counterattack (approx. 0.6 miles away); Where Hill Fell (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Breakthrough (approx. 0.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Petersburg.
 
More about this marker. The bottom of the marker contains a map of the area of the Banks House, indicating the locations of several historical markers.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Markers in the Banks House section of Pamplin Historical Park.
 
Also see . . .
1. The Banks House. Pamplin Historical Park. (Submitted on September 30, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 

2. The Petersburg Campaign, 1864-5. (Submitted on September 30, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsNotable EventsNotable PlacesWar, US Civil
 
Pamplin Historical Park image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 23, 2008
3. Pamplin Historical Park
The Banks House is located in Pamplin Historical Park.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 878 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement