Inscription. The first fortification built by the British on the South End of St. Simons Island was erected near this site in April, 1736, by soldiers of the South Carolina Independent Company under the command of Lieutenant Philip Delegal. Before coming to St. Simons these soldiers had been stationed at Fort Frederica near Port Royal, South Carolina.
By Mike Stroud, September 2008
|1. Delegal's Fort Marker|
The fortification erected here, known as "Delegal`s Fort at Sea Point", commanded the entrance to the harbor, being located "so that all ships... must pass within shot of the point".
In 1738, when a regiment of British soldiers was brought to St. Simons Island, Lieutenant Delegal and his soldiers were taken into Oglethorpe`s Regiment. Fort St. Simons was then built taking the site of Delegal`s Fort. Most of the area covered by the fortification has been washed away.
Erected 1961 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 063-39.)
Location. 31° 8.13′ N, 81° 23.283′ W. Marker is in St. Simons Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker is at the intersection of Ocean Blvd and 8th St, on the right when traveling north on Ocean Blvd. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Simons Island GA 31522, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance
of this marker. Fort St Simons (here, next to this marker); Old Spanish Garden (about 700 feet away, in a direct line); Couper's Point (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fort St. Simons (approx. 0.3 miles away); Keepers of the Light (approx. 0.3 miles away); Historic St. Simons Lighthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); Early History of St. Simons Island (approx. 0.3 miles away); The First Light House ~ 1810 (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in St. Simons Island.
By Mike Stroud, 2008
|2. Delegal's Fort Marker|
|Stone Marker for site of Fort St Simons at left|
Credits. This page originally submitted on October 6, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,021 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 6, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |