St. Simons Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Fort Saint Simons
site in 1736 by British Forces
under Oglethorpe. During
the Spanish invasion of 1742
the English abandoned this
fort which the Spaniards
then occupied as their
W.P.A. D.A.C. 1936
Erected 1936 by The Works Progress Administration.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects marker series.
Location. 31° 8.13′ N, 81° 23.283′ W. Marker is in St. Simons Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker is on Ocean Blvd near 8th St., on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Simons Island GA 31522, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Delegal's Fort (here, next to this marker); Old Spanish Garden (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Couper's Point (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fort St. Simons (approx. 0.3 miles away); Keepers of the Light (approx. 0.3 miles away); Historic St. Simons Lighthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); Early History of St. Simons Island (approx. 0.3 miles away); The First Light House ~ 1810 (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in St. Simons Island.
Also see . . . History - St. Simons Island,. On the afternoon of July 5th,( 1742 ) the mighty Spanish fleet attacked with the incoming tide, fighting its way furiously through the thin gauntlet of British ships and the cannon of Fort St. Simons. After fierce fighting ( often hand-to-hand as the Spanish unsuccessfully attempted to board several British ships ( the Spanish fleet anchored in St. Simons Sound and began landing troops a mile and a half northwest of the fort. As the Spanish were landing, Oglethorpe evacuated the southern end of St. Simons Island. After spiking the cannon, destroying equipment and burning the boats too damaged to escape to South Carolina, the soldiers retreated with their families up the Military Road northward to Frederica. (Submitted on October 7, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Forts, Castles • Notable Places •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,322 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.