Inscription. In 1823 the Inferior Court Justices of Pike County selected the center lot in the county near here as the site for the county seat. This land was laid out into town lots and named Newnan to honor Major General Daniel Newnan, a Revolutionary War hero. A temporary court house, a tavern, several stores and many dwellings were built. The town became a place of considerable trade, Indians coming from beyond the Flint River to barter their furs.
By David Seibert,
|1. Old Newnan Marker|
In 1824 Upson County was cut from Pike and Crawford counties. The territory cut off threw Newnan too far from the center of the county to continue as the county seat and a new site was chosen and called Zebulon.
The justices who selected the site of Newnan were Lewis Winn, William Duke, Thomas Lewis and William Mitchell. William Myrick was Clerk of the Inferior Court. The legislature chose as the first Commissioners of the town Samuel Mitchell, William Mitchell, William Myrick, William Johnson and Hugh F. Rose, who then lived in Newnan.
This marker was erected at the request of the Lamar-LaFayette Chapter N.S.D.A.R.
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 114-1.)
Location. 33° 2.938′ N, 84° 20.66′ W. Marker is
near Meansville, Georgia, in Pike County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 19 and Georgia Route 109, on the right when traveling north on U.S. 19. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Meansville GA 30256, United States of America.
By Michael Dover, December 31, 2010
|2. Old Newnan Marker|
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. Pike County (approx. 3.7 miles away); Gachet Home (approx. 7.9 miles away); Unknown Confederate Dead (approx. 8.8 miles away); Confederate Hospital (approx. 9.9 miles away); Federals at Barnesville (approx. 10.5 miles away); Confederate Cemetery (approx. 10.8 miles away); Barnesville Blues (approx. 10.9 miles away); Lamar County (approx. 10.9 miles away).
Credits. This page originally submitted on October 7, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 969 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on October 7, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2. submitted on January 1, 2011, by Michael Dover of Ellerslie, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |