“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Brunswick in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)

Glynn County

Glynn County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 20, 2008
1. Glynn County Marker
Inscription. Glynn County, one of the eight original Counties of Georgia, was organized under the 1777 Constitution of the State of Georgia. It was named in honor of John Glynn, a member of the British House of Commons who defended the cause of the American Colonies in the difficulties which led to the Revolutionary War.

Glynn County contains the lands formerly included in the Colonial Parishes of St. David, St. Patrick, and St. James, which had been organized in 1785.

Among the early officials were the Hon. George Walton, Signer of the Declaration of Independence, Judge of the Superior Court; James Spalding, Alexander Bissett, Richard Leake, and Raymond Demere, Justices of the Inferior Court; John Goode, Clerk of the Inferior and Superior Courts; John Palmer, Sheriff; John Burnett, Register of Probates; Richard Bradley, Tax Collector; Martin Palmer, Tax Receiver; Joshua Miller, Surveyor; Jacob Helvestine, Coroner; George Handley (who in 1788 was elected Governor of the State of Georgia) and Christopher Hillary, Legislators; George Purvis, Richard Pritchard, Moses Burnett, John Piles, and John Burnett, Commissioners of Glynn Academy.
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 063-21.)
Marker series. This marker
Glynn County Marker, at Court House image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2008
2. Glynn County Marker, at Court House
is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 31° 9.139′ N, 81° 29.671′ W. Marker is in Brunswick, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker is at the intersection of G Street and Union Street, on the left when traveling east on G Street. Click for map. At the courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Brunswick GA 31520, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Glynn County War Memorial (here, next to this marker); Dedicated to the Veterans of 1898 -1902 (a few steps from this marker); Colored Memorial School and Risley High School (approx. 0.3 miles away); Brunswick's "Liberty Ships" (approx. 0.3 miles away); World War II Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Sidney Lanier (approx. 0.7 miles away); Lanier's Oak (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named Lanier's Oak (approx. 0.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Brunswick.
Also see . . .  Glynn County,. includes the most prominent of the Sea Islands of Georgia, including Jekyll Island, St. Simons Island, and Sea Island. The Georgia poet Sidney Lanier immortalized the seacoast there in his poem, "The Marshes of Glynn", (Submitted on October 8, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
Categories. Colonial EraPolitical SubdivisionsSettlements & Settlers
Glynn County Court House image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2008
3. Glynn County Court House
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,317 times since then and 76 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement