“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Southbury in New Haven County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)


Southbury Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, October 3, 2008
1. Southbury Marker
Inscription. In 1659 this area was part of a large tract of land bought from the Paugussett Indians by prospective settlers from Stratford. The boundaries of this purchase, from which several towns were later formed, extended from the Pootatuck River on the southwest to the Naugatuck River on the northeast. The first settlers arrived in 1673 and the area was named Woodbury in the following year. The Southbury Ecclesiastical Society was formed in 1733, when a new meetinghouse was erected. In 1787 Southbury and South Britain together were incorporated by the General Assembly as a new town of approximately forty square miles. Because of available water power, many small mills and manufacturing plants were established here. A railroad line served the town from 1881 to 1948. Southbury, in spite of rapid population growth, has retained most of its rural characteristics and natural beauty.
Erected 1979 by Town of Southbury, Southbury Historical Society, Connecticut Historical Commission.
Location. 41° 28.134′ N, 73° 13.532′ W. Marker is in Southbury, Connecticut, in New Haven County. Marker can be reached from Main Street South 0.1 miles east of Flood Bridge Road. Click for map. Marker is located in the parking lot on the
Southbury Town Hall and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, October 3, 2008
2. Southbury Town Hall and Marker
The steeple on the building came from the South Britain Congregational Church and was more than 140 years old at the time of its installation in 1976.
east side of Southbury Town Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 501 Main Street South, Southbury CT 06488, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Southbury Veterans Memorial (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Southbury World War I Memorial (about 400 feet away); Southbury World War II Memorial (about 500 feet away); Bullet Hill School (approx. 1.1 miles away); South Britain Congregational Church (approx. 1.4 miles away); Russian Village (approx. 1.9 miles away); Where Rochambeau Crossed the Housatonic River (approx. 2.4 miles away); Rochambeau Route 1781-82 (approx. 2.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Southbury.
Also see . . .
1. Wikipedia entry for Southbury, Connecticut. (Submitted on October 4, 2008, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
2. Images of America, Southbury Revisited by Virginia Palmer-Skok. The building near the marker is Southbury's third town hall. (Submitted on October 6, 2008.) 
Categories. Colonial EraGovernmentSettlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 1,710 times since then and 69 times this year. Last updated on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement