“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dry Branch in Twiggs County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)

Stone Creek Baptist Church - 1808

Stone Creek Baptist Church - 1808 Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 21, 2008
1. Stone Creek Baptist Church - 1808 Marker
Inscription. Constituted September 3, 1808, this Church was first located two miles from here on a rocky hill overlooking Stone Creek, a tributary of the Ocmulgee. In 1842 the meetings were moved to an Academy at this site and in 1850 the members and community "deeming it expedient and advisable" built a stately and beautiful church with galleries, to accommodate both white and colored. The old church was destroyed by a tornado April 30, 1953, and the present church was occupied in November of the same year, meetings having been held in the Smith High School in the interim. In 1827 a committee from the Church helped to organize the First Baptist Church of Macon. In the records for November, 1865 appears the entry "No conference owing to the enemy's raid near the church." Notable pastors have been; Rev. Henry Hooten; Vincent, Charnick, Washington, Benjamin and George Tharpe: Wm. Horne. P. W. Edge. J. C. Solomon J. F. McCluney S. J. Wheeler and R. F. Floyd.
Erected 1955 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 143-6.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 32° 45.718′ N, 83° 29.556′ W. Marker is in Dry Branch, Georgia, in Twiggs County. Marker is at the intersection of Riggins Mill Road and Sgoda Road, on the right when traveling west on Riggins Mill Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dry Branch GA 31020, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rev. Vincent A. Tharp Home (1809) (approx. 1.4 miles away); Camp Wheeler (approx. 4.5 miles away); Battle of Griswoldville (approx. 6.5 miles away); Myricks Mill (approx. 7.3 miles away); The Cavalry Skirmish (approx. 7.4 miles away); Battle of Griswoldville The Deployment and Assaults (approx. 7.5 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Griswoldville (approx. 7.5 miles away but has been reported missing); Griswoldville (approx. 7.6 miles away).
Additional comments.
1. Date of the "Enemy Raid"
The date listed on the marker for a nearby enemy raid seems a bit off. In November 1864, Federal troops under General W.T. Sherman were indeed marching through this area of Georgia on their way to Savannah (the March to the Sea). So it is quite likely the marker is simply off by a year. However, Georgia, like many other southern states, experienced much unrest during the months after the Civil War was officially over. The annotation in the church's books could, though not likely, reference a post-Civil War activity.
    — Submitted October 9, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.

Categories. Antebellum South, USChurches, Etc.War, US Civil
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,163 times since then and 80 times this year. Last updated on , by Peggie Bowden of Dry Branch, Georgia. Photo   1. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement