Chickamauga in Walker County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
A “Magniﬁcent” Respite from Carnage
Struggle came to Crawfish Spring in September 1863. On the 16th, Union Major General William S. Rosecrans, commander of the Army of the Cumberland, established his headquarters in the Gordon House. The summer had been extremely dry and the most reliable source of water in the area was Crawfish Spring. Colonial John P. Sanderson of Rosecrans' staff wrote in his diary, "the spring here is a magnificent one, affording an abundant supply, for man and beast of the entire army of cool, soft, delicious water." Thousands of canteens were filled from its water, including over 1,000 alone for the parched lips of the 39th Indiana Mounted Infantry after the first full days fighting on the 19th. For these reasons, the federal armies Medical Director,
The house and several large tents were used, but many of the wounded lay outside. Every effort was made to place the men under shelter, and to provide them with cover, as the nights were cold. When this could not be done, the men were arranged in rows with lines of campfires built at their feet. As thousands of other Federal soldiers marched north pass Crawfish Spring toward the battle, the hospitals became exposed to attack. Many men were hastily evacuated late on the 20th, but by 5 pm Confederate Major Joseph Wheeler's Calvary captured the hospitals, with 20 wagons of medicines and camp equipage, plus over 1,000 wounded federal soldiers.
On September 20, 1889, thousands of veterans from both armies, including General Rosecrans and former Confederate Major General (and then Georgia Governor) John B. Gordon met at Crawfish Spring in a spirit of reconciliation and friendship. After barbecue and patriotic speeches the men visited with comrades, and got acquainted with former enemies. Together they walked over the battlefield, recalling the bloody days they had shared so long ago. They sought out places where friends had died, and recalled their own actions during the desperate fighting. This land is sacred to the veterans, thus talk began
Erected by Georgia Civil War Heritage Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Chickamauga Campaign Heritage Trail marker series.
Location. 34° 52.235′ N, 85° 17.563′ W. Marker is in Chickamauga, Georgia, in Walker County. Marker can be reached from Cove Road (Georgia Route 341). Click for map. The marker is located within a park behind a water tower. Marker is in this post office area: Chickamauga GA 30707, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. North and South Reunited (a few steps from this marker); Sickness at Camp Thomas (a few steps from this marker); The Town of Lytle (a few steps from this marker); Camp George H. Thomas (a few steps from this marker); Georgia 3d Confederate Cavalry (within shouting distance of this marker); The Real Rock of Chickamauga Hospitals, Right Wing, Union Army. (within shouting distance of this marker); Field Headquarters Army of the Cumberland (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Chickamauga.
More about this marker. Chickamauga Campaign Heritage Trail, Army of the Cumberland site #26
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Native Americans • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,582 times since then and 84 times this year. Last updated on , by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia. Photos: 1. submitted on , by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia. 2. submitted on , by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 9, 10, 11, 12. submitted on , by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.