Johnston in Edgefield County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Johnston, founded in 1868 as Johnston's Station on the Charlotte, Columbia, & Augusta Railroad and also known as Johnson's Turn Out, was named for railroad president William Johnston. It was first incorporated in 1875 and rechartered with its present name of Johnston in 1897. The Johnston Historic District, a collection of 146 houses, businesses, and churches dating from ca. 1880 to ca. 1920, was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.
Erected 1997 by Town of Johnston. (Marker Number 19-12.)
Location. 33° 49.9′ N, 81° 48.067′ W. Marker is in Johnston, South Carolina, in Edgefield County. Marker is on Calhoun Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is located in the southeast corner of the intersection of Calhoun and Lee Streets. Marker is in this post office area: Johnston SC 29832, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. William Johnston (within shouting distance of this marker); Edwards Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Johnston Schools / Johnston Educators (approx. 0.2 miles away); Johnston Civil War Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Johnston Presbyterian Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Lott's Tavern & Post Office (approx. 1.2 miles away); Spann Methodist Church / Captain Clinton Ward (approx. 4.6 miles away); William Barret Travis (approx. 5.8 miles away); Old Simkins Cemetery (approx. 6 miles away); Benjamin R. Tillman House (approx. 6.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Johnston.
Also see . . .
1. Johnston Historic District. The Johnston Historic District is composed of 146 properties within and adjacent to the town of Johnston.
2. Charlotte, Columbia, & Augusta Railroad. In 1869 the Charlotte and South Carolina Railroad and the Columbia and Augusta Railroad merged to form the Charlotte, Columbia and Augusta Railroad.
3. Johnston, South Carolina. Johnston is a town in Edgefield County, South Carolina, United States.
4. "100 years for city of Johnson", Augusta Chronicle, May 23, 1997. One hundred years ago, a small railroad village called Johnston Turn Out became a full-fledged town chartered by the state of South Carolina and renamed simply Johnston for the railroader who helped make it possible.
Categories. • 20th Century • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on October 10, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,343 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 10, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 3, 4. submitted on September 30, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 5. submitted on October 7, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on October 10, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.