Auburn in Placer County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Placer County Courthouse
Location. 38° 53.813′ N, 121° 4.56′ W. Marker is in Auburn, California, in Placer County. Marker is at the intersection of Maple Street and Lincoln Way, on the right when traveling east on Maple Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 Maple Street, Auburn CA 95603, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gold Discovered Just Downstream in Auburn Ravine! - Why Daylight North Rich Ravine? (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Brye House (about 500 feet away); Odd Fellows Hall, Auburn Lodge #7 (about 500 feet away); Auburn Native Sons Hall (about 600 feet away); First Placer County Hospital (about 600 feet away); Lawyers Row (about 600 feet away); Gold Bug Stamp Mill (about 600 feet away); Old Masonic Hall Erected 1860 (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Auburn.
Regarding Placer County Courthouse. Currently the 1st floor houses a museum displaying exibits on Auburn Ravine and Placer County Government
Also see . . .
1. City of Auburn: Placer County Courthouse. (Submitted on October 10, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
2. Placer County: The Courthouse. (Submitted on October 10, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
3. Cal-Archives: Placer County History. A Memorial and Biographical History of Northern California by Chicago, Lewis Publishing Co., 1891 (Submitted on October 10, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
1. From the Placer County Courthouse Museum Brochure:
Three courthouses have served Placer County. The first, a canvas and wood structure, with a nearby jail built of logs. In 1852 the Court of Sessions ordered a new courthouse to be built. This building was a wood frame building with plaster walls. A bell tower called jurors to duty and sounded the fire alarm. The jail remained at its old site until it burned in June, 1855. Later that year a two-story brick jail was built next to the new courthouse. An iron cat walk connected the upstairs of the jail building to the courthouse. In 1893, after forty years, the courthouse had deteriorated to the point of needing replacement. Setting of the cornerstone of the new and third courthouse was placed on July 4, 1894. A copper box, placed under the cornerstone
At the dedication ceremony, Judge J.E. Prewitt eulogized the merits of the new edifice:
— Submitted October 10, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Additional keywords. Courthouses
Categories. • Government • Landmarks • Notable Buildings • Notable Events • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,980 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.