Johnston in Edgefield County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
and Augusta Railroad
Commissary General of N.C.
Erected by Mrs. A.B. Andrews.
Location. 33° 49.933′ N, 81° 48.05′ W. Marker is in Johnston, South Carolina, in Edgefield County. Marker is on Calhoun Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is located on the northeast side of the Johnston Garden Club. Marker is in this post office area: Johnston SC 29832, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Johnston (within shouting distance of this marker); Edwards Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Johnston Schools / Johnston Educators (approx. 0.2 miles away); Johnston Civil War Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Johnston Presbyterian Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Lott's Tavern & Post Office (approx. 1.1 miles away); Spann Methodist Church / Captain Clinton Ward (approx. 4.5 miles away); William Barret Travis (approx. 5.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Johnston.
Also see . . .
1. "100 years for city of Johnson", >i>Augusta Chronicle, May 23, 1997. One hundred years ago, a small railroad village called Johnston Turn Out became a full-fledged town chartered by the state of South Carolina and renamed simply Johnston for the railroader who helped make it possible.
2. William Johnston (1875-1878) (1885-1887). Johnston was a planter, lawyer, banker and railroad executive.
3. Charlotte & South Carolina Officers. Chart showing the railroad officers from 1861-1865, the years Johnston was president.
4. Portion of Iron Confederacies by Scott Reynolds Nelson. This portion deals with the construction of Johnston's railroad in South Carolina during the years of the Civil War.
Categories. • Military • Notable Persons • Railroads & Streetcars • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on October 10, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,992 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 10, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.