Cassville in Bartow County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Town Of Cassville
In this valley was once situated the proud town of Cassville, begun in July 1833, as the seat of justice for Cass County and soon the center of trade and travel in the region recently comprising the Cherokee Nation. Both the county and town where named in the honor of Gen. Lewis Cass Michigan statesman and Secretary of War in the Cabinet of President Andrew Jackson.
A decade after its founding Cassville lost its preeminence as a trading center due to the location of the state owned Western and Atlantic railroad two miles west of its limits. It continued to flourish, however, and in 1860 was a community of some 1300 persons. Two four year colleges located here and its newspaper, The Cassville Standard, gave weight to the claims of being the educational and cultural center for all northern Georgia.
In 1861 the name of the county was changed by action of the Georgia Legislature to Bartow in memory of Gen. Francis S. Bartow a native Georgian killed at the First Battle of Manassas, and the name of the town became Manassas.
The entire town was destroyed by fire on Nov. 5, 1864 at the hands of the Fifth Ohio Calvary. Only three houses and three churches were left standing. So complete was the destruction that no rebuilding of the town was attempted.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 14.935′ N, 84° 51.15′ W. Marker is in Cassville, Georgia, in Bartow County. Marker is on Cassville Road NW (Old Route 41), on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cassville GA 30123, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Cassville (here, next to this marker); Confederate Army of Tenn. at Cassville (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site - Cassville Female College (approx. 0.3 miles away); Noble Hill Rosenwald School (approx. 0.3 miles away); Confederate Dead (approx. 0.4 miles away); Grave of Gen. William Tatum Wofford (approx. 0.4 miles away); Confederate Memorial Cassville Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Confederate Line (approx. 0.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Cassville.
Also see . . .
1. History of Cassville. (Submitted on October 11, 2008, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia.)
2. Lewis Cass. (Submitted on October 11, 2008, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia.)
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Churches, Etc. • Government • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,690 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia. 2. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 3. submitted on , by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.