Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Simons Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

German Village

—→

 
 
German Village Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 20, 2008
1. German Village Marker
Inscription. Here in 1736, Oglethorpe settled a group of German Lutherans, known as Salzburgers, and their settlement was called the German Village. These Salzburgers made their living by planting, fishing, and selling their products to the Frederica settlers. When Oglethorpe`s regiment was disbanded in 1749 the Salzburgers left St. Simons Island.
During the Plantation Era, the Wylly family lived here, their plantation being called "The Village."
 
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 063-8.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 31° 13.71′ N, 81° 21.744′ W. Marker is in St. Simons Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker is at the intersection of Lawrence Rd and Village Dr, on the right when traveling north on Lawrence Rd. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Simons Island GA 31522, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Harrington Hall (approx. 0.6 miles away); Sinclair Plantation (approx. 0.6 miles away); Pike's Bluff (approx. 0.9 miles away); Battle of Gully Hole Creek
German Village Marker, looking northward on Lawrence Rd image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2008
2. German Village Marker, looking northward on Lawrence Rd
(approx. 1.5 miles away); The Military Road (approx. 1.5 miles away); The Georgia Navy (approx. 1.5 miles away); William Bartram Trail (approx. 1.5 miles away); St. Simons Island (approx. 1.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in St. Simons Island.
 
Regarding German Village. German Village was the original site of the German Salzburgers who populated the island during the early 1700s. After Georgia established itself as a British colony, most Salzburgers moved into the mainland. By the early 1800s the area was absorbed into Alexander Wylly's plantation called "The Village." Today all that is left is the historic marker located on Lawrence Road at Village Drive just 1.2 miles north of Frederica Road.
 
Also see . . .  History - St. Simons Island ,The Plantations. Captain Alexander Wylly, a former British officer who later built a home on the site of the colonial Salzburger settlement, or German Village as it was called. His plantation of over a thousand acres became known simply as "The Village." In 1838, Wylly's youngest son, John, was killed in a boundary dispute by
Village Drive in direction of Marker's arrow image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2008
3. Village Drive in direction of Marker's arrow
simply friendly homes along this drive today
Dr. Thomas Hazzard of Pike's Bluff Plantation. (Submitted on October 12, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
Categories. Colonial EraNotable PlacesSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,307 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement