Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wapakoneta in Auglaize County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Dayton and Michigan Railroad

 
 
Dayton and Michigan Railroad Marker (Side A) image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 5, 2008
1. Dayton and Michigan Railroad Marker (Side A)
Inscription.
Side A

The Dayton and Michigan Railroad provided the single most important impetus to the growth and development of Wapakoneta. Although Wapakoneta had been platted in 1833, at the time of incorporation (1848), "the town was still without any material improvement worth the name of enterprise, save in the erection of residences and opening of small retail stores and shops." On March 15, 1854, in its first ordinance, the village council of Wapakoneta voted unanimously to grant a right-of-way to the Dayton and Michigan Railroad Company to construct a railroad line through the community. The financial backers of the railroad ran short of funds during construction, and planned to end the line at Sidney, but local leaders raised $70,000 to ensure its extension.
(Continued on other side)

Side B

(Continued from other side)
The Dayton and Michigan Railroad began operation in 1858, giving the people of Wapakoneta "their first railway connection with the outer world." It was the first railroad in Auglaize County and the first north-south line in western Ohio. With a route stretching from Lake Erie to the Ohio River, the railroad allowed local farmers and industrialists to ship their products and goods throughout the country, promoting economic development. Within a few years
Dayton and Michigan Railroad Marker (Side B) image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 5, 2008
2. Dayton and Michigan Railroad Marker (Side B)
of the railroad's completion, many industrial enterprises were established, as well as two large grain warehouses. As business grew and employment opportunities expanded, the population of Wapakoneta more than doubled from 900 to 2,150 between 1860 and 1870, the largest period of growth in the community's history. In later years, the railroad line would be known as the Cincinnati, Hamilton, and Dayton Railroad, Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, Chessie System, and CSX.
 
Erected 2007 by Wapakoneta 175th Anniversary Committee, CSX, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 5-6.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 40° 34.228′ N, 84° 11.472′ W. Marker is in Wapakoneta, Ohio, in Auglaize County. Marker is at the intersection of Auglaize Street and Broadway, on the right when traveling east on Auglaize Street. Click for map. Marker located next to railroad track crossing of Auglaize Street. Marker is in this post office area: Wapakoneta OH 45895, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wapakoneta Heritage Parkway (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wapakoneta All Wars Memorial
Dayton and Michigan Railroad Depot (front) image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 5, 2008
3. Dayton and Michigan Railroad Depot (front)
Still used by CSX for maintenance work.
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Congressional Medal of Honor Recipients (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dudley Nichols (approx. mile away); The Shannon Stock Company (approx. 0.4 miles away); Wapakoneta (Wapaughkonnetta) (approx. 0.9 miles away); F5D Skylancer (approx. one mile away); Apollo Command Module and Gemini Spacecraft Mock-ups (approx. 1.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Wapakoneta.
 
Categories. AgricultureIndustry & CommerceRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers
 
Dayton and Michigan Railroad Depot (rear) image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 5, 2008
4. Dayton and Michigan Railroad Depot (rear)
Still used by CSX for maintenance work.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 2,423 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement